JK 2.5" Lift - Nitto Ridge Grappler question

Steve JK

I've got a 2009 JK (2-door) that I'm planning to do a 2.5" AEV lift with 33" tires. It's going to be used primarily on-road with the occasional off-road foray, but nothing outrageous. So, I'm going for a combination of looks, quality street ride and some off-road capability. I've been looking at the Nitto Ridge Grappler. From what I understand, the JK is not a great fit for 15" rims, so I've been weighing 16" vs 17". The Ridge Grappler comes in a 295/75x16 and a 33"x12.5/17. The 295 is a bit taller (0.6"), a bit narrower (11.77" vs. 12.52") and obviously has more sidewall, since it's for a 16" rim. The 33" tire has slightly deeper tread (18.3mm vs. 16.4mm) and has a lower maximum air pressure (3085 vs. 3970).

The question is, which do I chose? It seems that the 295 will be better on the road (narrower and higher air pressure) but gives me better flexibility for off-road, because of the smaller rim size, but it does have a shallower tread.

Thoughts? Am I thinking about this right?

JK standard is 17". Best tire choices for the best prices. No good reason to use any other size rim. Just get a 17" x 9" one with decent backspacing and stay away from stock wheels

Also stay away from LT type tires, very rough ride.

This will allow you compare and contrast different size tires and wheels.

Reactions: mrjp
I was in the same boat as you just a couple months ago. I ended up with 17" wheels and Toyo Open Country AT3's (285/75/17) which is a C rated tire for softer sidewalls. The ride is awesome and I just spent 11 days off roading in Colorado with zero issues.

JK standard is 17". Best tire choices for the best prices. No good reason to use any other size rim. Just get a 17" x 9" one with decent backspacing and stay away from stock wheels

Also stay away from LT type tires, very rough ride.

This will allow you compare and contrast different size tires and wheels.
My issue just got more complicated. I thought I had 3.73 gearing, but went to confirm and it turns out that I have 3.23 (Dana 30 in front, Dana 44 in rear) Ugh. Now, I have to decide whether the project is worthwhile. And if I regear, do I go 4.10 or 4.56? And what else do I need to consider with this? Other parts that need to be upgraded or changed?

If you do a tire size change and gear change you have to recalibrate your speedometer. You could probably go the next size taller tires then stock without doing a gear change.

My Jk had 35's on it when I bought it and with my 3.21 gears it wasn't a good combo at all.

If you do a tire size change and gear change you have to recalibrate your speedometer. You could probably go the next size taller tires then stock without doing a gear change.

My Jk had 35's on it when I bought it and with my 3.21 gears it wasn't a good combo at all.
I have 255/75's on there now, which are 32". I'm planning on going to 33". Looking at the Jeep gear chart, with the 3.21 gearing and 32" wheels, I'm already in the yellow (suboptimal range) and the 33" tires would put me in there further. A 4.10 or 4.56 gearing would move me into the green or blue acceptable or optimal zones.
38gears.png

Interesting. with my rubicon 4.10 manual trans I can apparently go up to 35s with no issue. I'll look into that when it is time to get new tires. Got many miles before then.

I feel for you. I'm unsure why 3.21 is even an option.

Reactions: mrjp