Jeep mechanic north jersey

Jk201trav

Hey there - can anyone recommend a jeep mechanic in the north jersey area ? Bergen/Hudson co . Having a hard time finding a mechanic to properly fix an ongoing issue with my car . Thanks I’m advance

Hey there - can anyone recommend a jeep mechanic in the north jersey area ? Bergen/Hudson co . Having a hard time finding a mechanic to properly fix an ongoing issue with my car . Thanks I’m advance

What's your JK's problem maybe we can help you fix it for free?

My front right tire is shakes very aggressive once I hit 60 . Not sure if it’s considered death wobble bc it doesn’t happen when I hit a bump . Local
Mechanic suggested I get an alignment and balance my tires . New tires , balance and alignment . Car still shakes. Then changed the stabilizer , shaking was mild for one day then back to aggressive . He says my control arms and ball joints are fine so at this point I have no idea .

My front right tire is shakes very aggressive once I hit 60 . Not sure if it’s considered death wobble bc it doesn’t happen when I hit a bump . Local
Mechanic suggested I get an alignment and balance my tires . New tires , balance and alignment . Car still shakes. Then changed the stabilizer , shaking was mild for one day then back to aggressive . He says my control arms and ball joints are fine so at this point I have no idea .

Whoever did the Alignment should have inspected everything on the front axle, you can't do a Alignment if some part is worn out.

Is your JK stock or lifted with big tires?

They never did the alignment - they inspected it and said it wasn’t in need of an alignment so they just rotated and balanced the tires . Everything is stock

They never did the alignment - they inspected it and said it wasn’t in need of an alignment so they just rotated and balanced the tires . Everything is stock

How can it be inspected to see if it needs a Alignment without doing a Alignment to see if it's out? You better find another Alignment Shop.

My mechanic did the initial inspection . He said the parts of my suspension seemed fine . He told me to bring it to the tire place to have them do an alignment . Once the hooked the car up they said it wasn’t out of alignment . The tire shop recommended balancing and rotating the tires which is what they did. Then my mechanic changed the stabilizer since it was still shaking. Nothing is making sense lol which is why im trying to find a new mechanic

Ive heard mechanics and several Jeep people state that a poor balancing can cause this type of wobble issue, as well as DW itself. If that's the case its possible that they didn't balance the tires correctly and it's now exacerbating an already existing issue that wasn't quite detected by inspection or even real world driving. Not till another issue was added, being the misbalancing.

I recently have my front end worked on and the shop that did the work found three of my four tires poorly balanced. Mind you, I had them balance in the summer when I bought new tires and wheels. So that tells me that some shops just don't know how to bounce tires correclty.

Only "Jeep" shop I know of in N Jersey is "The 4x4 Place". But they must be slammed because I called them a few months ago, as well as emailed, no call-back, and no reply:

The 4x4 Place

25 Weldon Rd, Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
(973) 810-5598

My brother in-law has a JKU and gets all his tire work done at:
OK 4WD & Tire
2621 SR 57
Stewartsville, NJ 08886
908-454-6973

All they do is alignment, front end, tires etc.

1640207941369.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Threepointsix

The stabilizer won't actually fix anything. At most it helps mask an existing problem, but replacing the stabilizer will never resolve an existing problem.

The problem with an "alignment" on a JK is all they can really do is adjust toe, unless you have adjustable control arms, etc. They should, however, be able to tell if there is a problem with something like thrust angles, etc.

When did the problem start? Did something change and then the problem started, or did the problem suddenly start without any changes being made prior to the shaking?

Exactly, there are quite a few variables here that need to be answered. Something as simple as a chunk of mud or a bushing going bad to the more challenging realm of alignment, balancing, etc.

Reactions: mrjp and Vman
Ive read about all the variables that can cause DW. And ok, many are plausible. I almost compare it to like when people tell you not to eat certain foods because it can cause this illness or that illness. And yet some of those said ingredients show no definitive proof to cause harm to anyone.

Above stated, does anyone or @Anybodyhome know a person that had mud, a rock, or a chunk of torn tread cause DW? Because my thinking is that, depending on the severity or how it's set-off, there has to be more than one thing as simple as a rock or an out-of-balance tire causing the panic and fear inducing death wobble.

Too bad there's no actual Twitch forum where this could be discussed via video format in real time. Or is there?

EDIT: @Anybodyhome just want to make clear Im not being a condescending ahole tagging you with my Q's. Im legit curious, because so many cases of DW seem very puzzling. Least to me. ✌️

Above stated, does anyone or @Anybodyhome know a person that had mud, a rock, or a chunk of torn tread cause DW? Because my thinking is that, depending on the severity or how it's set-off, there has to be more than one thing as simple as a rock or an out-of-balance tire causing the panic and fear inducing death wobble.

Too bad there's no actual Twitch forum where this could be discussed via video format in real time. Or is there?

EDIT: @Anybodyhome just want to make clear Im not being a condescending ahole tagging you with my Q's. Im legit curious, because so many cases of DW seem very puzzling. Least to me.
I've not experienced DW, but I have had issues with out of balance tires, out of alignment front end and tires which spent too much time in one place (not rotated properly). All of these cause a wobble or handling issue.

I'll admit to not being the guy who can definitively identify DW, because I've not seen or experienced it first-hand. One person's definition of DW based on their personal experience is going to differ greatly from someone else, mostly depending on how badly one pooped his pants over the next guy.

Even the OP is hesitant to call his situation DW, but does say it's pretty aggressive and he's identified the issue being on the passenger side. So, if it's me, I'm getting JK in the air, taking off the front wheels and checking every connection, every bushing, every part while the wheels and tires are being checked for balance.

No worries and no offense taken.

I've not experienced DW, but I have had issues with out of balance tires, out of alignment front end and tires which spent too much time in one place (not rotated properly). All of these cause a wobble or handling issue.

I'll admit to not being the guy who can definitively identify DW, because I've not seen or experienced it first-hand. One person's definition of DW based on their personal experience is going to differ greatly from someone else, mostly depending on how badly one pooped his pants over the next guy.

Even the OP is hesitant to call his situation DW, but does say it's pretty aggressive and he's identified the issue being on the passenger side. So, if it's me, I'm getting JK in the air, taking off the front wheels and checking every connection, every bushing, every part while the wheels and tires are being checked for balance.

No worries and no offense taken.

100%

The most thorough solution to this problem is to get it up in the air and check everything.

It could be anything from a loose bolt, to a wallowed out mounting hole, a bent bracket, worn out ujoints on one or more of several parts, bad bushings, etc etc.

Get it in the air, remove all the components, and check everything.

Not only will you be able to narrow it down to an alignment/tire issue this way if that is indeed the problem, you'll be able to get ahead of anything that's starting to look questionable, worn out, etc.

I found a bunch of issues on mine that I would not have been able to tell/see unless I had taken that route, so was glad I had done so.

Reactions: mrjp