Jeep made a loud noise like something getting stuck in fan and now it won't start

Megankuhl

Had an issue with my jeep last week Of it over heating. Changed the radiator water pump and thermostat and all was good until last night I seem to be having a new problem. Not sure if it’s related at all but the Jeep made a loud noise like something getting stuck in a fan and the brakes stopped working and now the Jeep won’t turn on. Any ideas ? Also, when I checked under the hood it now looks like corrosion on the new water pump and thermostat or like something was leaking onto it.

Edit: just checked under the hood yet again and I can see coolant dripping from the thermostat
A47B8594-378F-4937-BBBA-E74164F2CFEC.jpeg

91AFDE85-33DF-44D0-921C-63F9AB2E6761.jpeg

23D16D62-1861-4B9A-B2A8-A1923A0B416C.jpeg

A92F6155-9212-47B0-9905-453D4F9B0E1F.jpeg

Last edited:
When you say Jeep won't turn on does the dash lights come on when you turn the key to run?

Reactions: Chris
It cranks when you turn the key to START position? If there are lights and gauges, does the starter crank and turn over the engine or will it not even make a "click"? We need a little more information to try to help you out. Also if it doesn't crank over but you hear the starter click, check battery voltage and cables/connectors for corrosion, tightness and at least around 13 volts at the battery and at the starter side of the positive cable. This is assuming the instrument cluster powers up and you see ideot lights for the various sensors and warning lights. If it's dead, there's something else wrong if you have 13+ volts with the key on, engine not running.

Also, while you're at it, check all fluids. Check oil, check coolant and transmission fluid if it's an automatic. Check power steering fluid while at it. Look for drips under the vehicle or small puddles of liquid under your Jeep. Let us know if it cranks over when you turn the key or not....

I've had batteries fail that had enough voltage to turn the lights on but not crank the starter. An internally broken connection between cells can cause this type of action. I know you say there is a corrosion around the new water pump, is it leaking or something?

RR

Reactions: Chris
It sounds like it is trying to crank over to turn the engine on but gets stuck when doing so it just keeps running and running. I’ve checked all fluid levels and they seem pretty fine, this actually happened last night on my way home from having my oil changed. Also I edited the original post with pictures of it leaking. I can now see that it is coolant that is dripping from the thermostat onto the water pump.

It sounds like it is trying to crank over to turn the engine on but gets stuck when doing so it just keeps running and running. I’ve checked all fluid levels and they seem pretty fine, this actually happened last night on my way home from having my oil changed. Also I edited the original post with pictures of it leaking. I can now see that it is coolant that is dripping from the thermostat onto the water pump.

Sounds like your engine is locked up are you sure there is oil in it? Check your oil drain plug to see if it's tight.

It cranks when you turn the key to START position? If there are lights and gauges, does the starter crank and turn over the engine or will it not even make a "click"? We need a little more information to try to help you out. Also if it doesn't crank over but you hear the starter click, check battery voltage and cables/connectors for corrosion, tightness and at least around 13 volts at the battery and at the starter side of the positive cable. This is assuming the instrument cluster powers up and you see ideot lights for the various sensors and warning lights. If it's dead, there's something else wrong if you have 13+ volts with the key on, engine not running.

Also, while you're at it, check all fluids. Check oil, check coolant and transmission fluid if it's an automatic. Check power steering fluid while at it. Look for drips under the vehicle or small puddles of liquid under your Jeep. Let us know if it cranks over when you turn the key or not....

I've had batteries fail that had enough voltage to turn the lights on but not crank the starter. An internally broken connection between cells can cause this type of action. I know you say there is a corrosion around the new water pump, is it leaking or something?

RR

RR

So is the starter stuck on then? It runs but starter stays engaged or it won't start? Also if it just cranks over but won't start, there could be a sensor out of adjustment or not working that keeps the engine from starting. Does it sound like the engine starts to fire but then doesn't and keeps cranking?

You may need to borrow a scantool to plug into the OBD II port under the dash from autozone or something to see if there is a trouble code stored.

Also the gasket seal at the thermostat housing or the hose may be the trouble with your leak.
RR

What she said about happened on the way home from having her oil changed makes me think:

Loose drain plug and lost oil
Loose oil filter and lost oil
Didn't put any oil in at all

What she said about happened on the way home from having her oil changed makes me think:

Loose drain plug and lost oil
Loose oil filter and lost oil
Didn't put any oil in at all
That would be terrible and get you an insurance claim against the shop that changed the oil for sure. But you better act fast and figure it out fo-sho....

All this reminds me of an old XJ Cherokee I had and what almost happened to the small commuter car that replaced it by the same company:

1st: A national quick-lube place destroyed the engine by installing the wrong oil filter that blew off the engine while driving on the freeway of an old XJ Cherokee 4.0 I had owned several years ago.

2nd: The commuter car that replaced the Cherokee was nearly totaled 10 years later when the same lube place but a different store on the same Pacific Coast Highway forgot to set the parking brake while working on it. It rolled into 6-lanes of traffic with nobody in it, drivers door wide open on a busy weekend. It was a total miracle nobody hit it or someone else avoiding it. All while I watched from the waiting room window while sipping on my coffee.

That's two incidents, same company, 2 different locations.

I know what you're thinking.....

RR

Yikes. My interpretation of your post sounds like you might have broke something on the top end of the engine, maybe floated a valve. I don't want to be the grim reaper here, but it doesn't sound good.

1st: A national quick-lube place destroyed the engine by installing the wrong oil filter that blew off the engine while driving on the freeway of an old XJ Cherokee 4.0 I had owned several years ago.

I know what you're thinking.....

RR

I had the right filter installed by a national quick lube place, except the gasket from the old filter was still stuck to the block. So it got threaded on gasket-to-gasket and I was 4 miles down the road when the oil began spraying all over the windshield. That was back in the early 80s in San Diego and it was a Chevy.

I was in my friend's garage one Saturday afternoon while he was tinkering with the engine in his truck, in between beers. I watched him drain the oil, put a new filter on, refill and just as he was about to start the truck I told him he might want to put the plug back in the oil pan and asked if he had 5 more quarts of oil...

Did the lube place do any other work while it was there? You may want to check around and make sure nothing got dropped in (tools, screws, etc.) weird shit happens, so it's possible that a foreign object got stuck somewhere it wasn't supposed to.