Jasper vs LKQ remanufactured engine

Claydeaux

Looking for advice on reman Jasper engine vs reman LKQ engine. To summarize, I got a reman jasper engine installed in Jan. 2024. 7 months later my transmission went out. Got a rebuild on transmission then the trans shop called stating they couldn't install it because the engine mount was broken where the transmission mounts. We may never know how that happened but it is water under the bridge. My mechanic is ordering a new engine to replace the broken one and is now asking me if I would prefer an LKQ reman engine that has 4 year warranty with unlimited mileage. The Jasper is 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
Edit: updated post with image of issue. This is the engine block. The two blue circles indicate where the transmission mounts to the engine. The one on the left is broken. The one of the right is what is should look like. The transmission shop was able to mount it anyway and said he has no problems providing a warranty on it, and that it is not going to move etc... Prior to that he said if it did move and became out of alignment that it would cause the transmission to go out again down the road. That is what I am concerned about. Trans warranty is 2 yrs / 50,000 miles. I suppose it's safe to say if it was going to have a problem, that it would in that time frame. I just can't pay for a new engine and trans now, and then have it also my responsibility down the road if any of it fails again because of this break.

engine mount.jpg

Last edited:
To clarify are you saying the engine is broken where the transmission mounts up? I believe the only engine mounts are on either side engine about 1/3rd of the way back from the front of the engine.

trans shop called stating they couldn't install it because the engine mount was broken where the transmission mounts

I would like to see what is broke that requires engine block replacement. I mean the trans just bolts to the engine thru some ears on the trans and bolt holes on the engine side right? Is it just stripped out, tap that to a larger bolt. Ear broke off, weld that back on. Maybe I don't fully understand what is wrong. And if the trans shop broke this, it would be hard on me to let it go.

As far as the engine question, I have always had good luck with Jasper engines, though the 4-year warrantee sounds nice.

Good luck

To clarify are you saying the engine is broken where the transmission mounts up? I believe the only engine mounts are on either side engine about 1/3rd of the way back from the front of the engine.

That is correct, where trans mounts to engine. I added a pic to original post.

I would like to see what is broke that requires engine block replacement. I mean the trans just bolts to the engine thru some ears on the trans and bolt holes on the engine side right? Is it just stripped out, tap that to a larger bolt. Ear broke off, weld that back on. Maybe I don't fully understand what is wrong. And if the trans shop broke this, it would be hard on me to let it go.

As far as the engine question, I have always had good luck with Jasper engines, though the 4-year warrantee sounds nice.

Good luck

Updated original post with image and more info. I was told this engine metal was hard to weld on, and that it would not hold. Furthermore I don't want to pay for a new (rebuilt) engine and new trans and have it be sub par or patched up to make it work. The problem is I don't know who broke it. If it came from Jasper broken, the mechanic shop should not have put it in. It's more likely the trans shop broke it trying to free the old trans from the engine. I can't prove anything.

Reactions: 1o1Proof
The right side looks like an alignment dowel to me? The left side definitely could be welded back, especially if you still had the missing piece. If the motor is already out most any reputable machine shop could fix you up, though I do understand wanting peace of mind.

Reactions: Claydeaux
I can only give you anecdotal evidence but when I replaced the engine in my 2000 Blazer it was with a LKQ. It ran beautifully and I traveled cross country with it without issue. Honestly wish I had kept that vehicle.

Reactions: Claydeaux
The right side looks like an alignment dowel to me? The left side definitely could be welded back, especially if you still had the missing piece. If the motor is already out most any reputable machine shop could fix you up, though I do understand wanting peace of mind.

I agree the right lookes like an alignment dowel. I am sure someone capable of welding / machine work could fix the left. Beyond on my skill.

I wouldn't replace the engine just for that, you could make a piece of steel the same thickness as the metal to put where the broken piece is missing. Then get a small piece of plate with a hole in it and a bolt and nut to hold it all together, you'll need to weld the spacer piece to the plate to make sure it doesn't fall out. You'll probably never get a core with it broken like that so another engine will be expensive.

My guess the ones that removed the trans broke it. There's really no side to side movement when it's all bolted together.

There should be far more than two bolts that hold the trans to the engine, usually four or six total. The alignment pin is still there and working, just isn't surrounded entirely. I'd let the trans folks put the transmission in and just keep an eye on it if the budget's tight.

I'd look at the broken side and see if the metal is clean or dirty. That will tell you everything. Nice and clean means the Trans shop broke it off. But getting back to your original question...I've had really good luck with alot of LKQ items.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I'd look at the broken side and see if the metal is clean or dirty. That will tell you everything. Nice and clean means the Trans shop broke it off. But getting back to your original question...I've had really good luck with alot of LKQ items.

That's what I think also the Trans Shop broke it.

Reactions: JeepJeezy