J-Scan app for mobile devices

JKTimmah

Supporting Member
Hey all,

Since Chris mentioned the J-Scan app in another thread. Is anyone else using it?

I'm waiting on the bluetooth OBDII device to arrive, but I AM going to use it. I was curious as to whether it could set options like adding a hardtop. I have a new one coming in a couple of weeks and the stealership wants $120 to turn on the wiper and defrost, lol. I'll pay it if I have to, but it would be too cool if the app could do it! Anyone know?

Tim

Well, after digging around in the demo, it looks like you CAN turn the hardtop options on!! WooHoo!!! I'll let you all know how it goes, real-world. I'm pretty stoked so far!

Tim

Glad you figured it out. As I mentioned in my other post, this app is amazing. You can enable or disable every factory feature imaginable, which was really helpful when I was installing LED headlights and wanted to get rid of the annoying flicker.

Reactions: ShannynRaelyn
i have been using it for a while and its been awesome i love it. i have calibrated for bigger tires, added led headights and turned off DRL. im sure there is something else ive done but i cant think of it right now

I added a hardtop on one of my JK's and enabled the backup camera on my current one. There is a LOT the app can do, way more than my AEV ProCal and cheaper, too. And since I have it installed on my Android head unit, it makes it real convenient to use.

This Jeep is the most modern vehicle I've ever owned, I didn't even know this was a possibility, or that it would be extremely affordable. I was definitely not even thinking about a programmer, because I was expecting to have to spend at least $100, if not more, for something I'd have to plug in and probably not use very often. It has now jumped to the top of the list of things to buy for my Jeep.

This Jeep is the most modern vehicle I've ever owned, I didn't even know this was a possibility, or that it would be extremely affordable. I was definitely not even thinking about a programmer, because I was expecting to have to spend at least $100, if not more, for something I'd have to plug in and probably not use very often. It has now jumped to the top of the list of things to buy for my Jeep.

Make sure you get a quality OBD2 reader. I use a OBDLink LX bluetooth that has worked great on my phone but so-so on the headunit. I'm thinking of getting the USB version for consistent results.

Make sure you get a quality OBD2 reader. I use a OBDLink LX bluetooth that has worked great on my phone but so-so on the headunit. I'm thinking of getting the USB version for consistent results.

X2 to this.

This is the one I have and would recommend (most others will recommend it as well, including the developer of J-Scan):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=jkforum-20

It works 100%, and it's cheap.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm going to put a plug in for the app called AlfaOBD. When I bought my 2016 jku rubicon it came with only one key. I bought a couple of keys off amazon, had the keys cut at hardware store, then used this app to program new keys. No dealer, no locksmith, just this app. I will mention that i used the app "chrysler pin puller" to find my radio code needed to program the keys. Easy. AlfaOBD is not the most intuitive app to use (there is alot of stuff buried in the app) but in my opinion it is as good as it gets to being able to program whatever it is that you want to turn on, turn off or add to your jeep.
Again, my apologizes for hijacking the thread this is my first post and I'm getting used to the site.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsJKU
Reactions: JerryD and Chris
I use the app OBD JScan on my iPad with my 2014 Jeep JKU, via the (developer recommended) iCar Vgate 4.0 BLE bluetooth OBDII reader / programmer.

I successfully used this to activate the reversing camera that I installed, so I am really happy with the app and that alone makes the licence fee totally worth it.

However, activating the "LED Quad Headlights" option did not solve the flickering issue with my LED headlights (which are the official Mopar Jeep headlights, take-offs from another Jeep). Has anyone else managed to cure the flickering LED headlight problem using OBD JScan? Are there some other settings that I need to change? I see there are various light voltages that can be set, for example, but I didn't want to mess around with those.

I have sent a message to the developer, so I'll post an update if he can solve the problem.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Ok I found the solution to the flickering LED headlights. JScan has a FaceBook profile (just seach for "JScan" in FaceBook), and they posted an entry on 26 Feb saying the following:

Do you have Jeep JK with aftermarket LED headlights installed? Yes? Do you have problems with blinking? We have solution to that problem.
Go to
JScan
app and activate set two options to "Active":
- Miscellaneous settings -> LED Quad Headlamps
- Miscellaneous settings -> High Intensity Discharge Lights
When booth options are set to "Active" blinking should be resolved.

I just did this on my JK, and it immediately solved the flickering problem! With the engine running and the Jeep facing my garage wall I could even toggle the High Intensity Discharge Lights setting on and off, and can see the flickering start when the setting is off and then stop flickering when this setting is active (with the LED Quad Headlights set to active throughout).

So you do need to activate both options "LED Quad Headlights" AND "High Intensity Discharge Lights" in the JScan app to make the flickering go away. This worked for my 2014 JKU with the official Mopar LED Headlights anyway - I can't say it will definitely work with other non-OEM headlights, but my guess is that it would.

The LED headlights do seem slightly brighter now, but I think that is just because they are now on 100% of the time rather than flickering.

JScan is an incredible app for Jeep owners, and has saved me the cost and hassle of taking my Jeep to a dealer to have the codes flashed for the reversing camera and the LED headlights. I am sure that would have cost me $200+.

Hope this helps someone else, as those flickering headlights have been bugging me for months!

I posted this in another thread but it looks like a lot of JSCAN users here.

Anyone know if the superchips trail dash & JSCAN will break things. I just want to use it to activate a backup camera & then disconnect it.

Curious as I'm just finding out about jscan. I have a superchips flashpaq scanner. Does the jscan do the same thing? More? If I went that route, I could unlock it and sell the superchips if it did the same thing. I only use it to read codes, calibrated the speedo for the larger tires, and fixed it to allow highbeams and fog lights at the same time.

I posted this in another thread but it looks like a lot of JSCAN users here.

Anyone know if the superchips trail dash & JSCAN will break things. I just want to use it to activate a backup camera & then disconnect it.

No experience with Superchips, but jScan CAN break things. However, my first use successfully activated my backup camera.

Curious as I'm just finding out about jscan. I have a superchips flashpaq scanner. Does the jscan do the same thing? More? If I went that route, I could unlock it and sell the superchips if it did the same thing.

I don't know all that the flashpaq can do. I have an AEV ProCal and although it is simple and straightforward, the jScan can do a LOT more. It is locked to your VIN. I bought a multi-license as we have several JK's in the family. I would suggest looking at two other tools. AppCar DiagFCA (which I also have) and AlphaOBD. The Ram guys really like the AlphaOBD, it seems mostly because support has been faster and it's not VIN locked. Lots of choices out there now.

Reactions: KCsJKU
Ok I found the solution to the flickering LED headlights. JScan has a FaceBook profile (just seach for "JScan" in FaceBook), and they posted an entry on 26 Feb saying the following:

Do you have Jeep JK with aftermarket LED headlights installed? Yes? Do you have problems with blinking? We have solution to that problem.
Go to
JScan
app and activate set two options to "Active":
- Miscellaneous settings -> LED Quad Headlamps
- Miscellaneous settings -> High Intensity Discharge Lights
When booth options are set to "Active" blinking should be resolved.

I just did this on my JK, and it immediately solved the flickering problem! With the engine running and the Jeep facing my garage wall I could even toggle the High Intensity Discharge Lights setting on and off, and can see the flickering start when the setting is off and then stop flickering when this setting is active (with the LED Quad Headlights set to active throughout).

So you do need to activate both options "LED Quad Headlights" AND "High Intensity Discharge Lights" in the JScan app to make the flickering go away. This worked for my 2014 JKU with the official Mopar LED Headlights anyway - I can't say it will definitely work with other non-OEM headlights, but my guess is that it would.

The LED headlights do seem slightly brighter now, but I think that is just because they are now on 100% of the time rather than flickering.

JScan is an incredible app for Jeep owners, and has saved me the cost and hassle of taking my Jeep to a dealer to have the codes flashed for the reversing camera and the LED headlights. I am sure that would have cost me $200+.

Hope this helps someone else, as those flickering headlights have been bugging me for months!

Will i still need the an flicker module