Issues with topless JK in the rain (advice needed)

Aircalane

Hi all,

First time poster here - hoping the Jeep community can help me.

I left my ‘16 75th anniversary Wrangler topless overnight when the forecast called for clear skies. In typical fashion, a storm rolled through in the middle of the night, and it soaked my Jeep for a few hours until I woke up and realized it.

I toweled the interior off, but the electronics were pretty rightly soaked.

Now, a day later, the horn doesn’t work, the windshield wipers won’t stop going, the buttons don’t work, and the radio clearly has water behind the screen.

My question to the Jeep community is: is this an issue I should wait a few days and see if it dries out, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer ASAP?

Button her up, put the heat on full, and cycle fresh air in on max. Make it hot in the cab to cook eggs. Every spring when I fire up my 96 GMT 400, absolute madness electrically until I dry out the winter condensation, because it was parked for 6 months. The most you will be out of to date, is half a tank of gas. Good Luck.

X2, Forgot to mention the clockspring. Open up the steering wheel and take the wife' hair blower to it. Good Luck.

Reactions: mrjp
On a side note. I had a hound dog that could tell me a bad storm was coming before the Canadian Weather Service posted a warning. LOL

To give you some insight into the comment about the clock spring. It is the part that allows you to turn your steering wheel and have the buttons still work. For some reason they are very touchy when it comes to water, a thing that is only made obvious on Wranglers.

I would follow the advice above about getting the vehicle dried out, If you decide to remove the front of the steering wheel to dry it out, 100% disconnect the battery. You are playing with the airbag at that point, it would suck, be very dangerous, and be expensive to have that go off in your face. Don't go too far in though. There are things that are aligned in a certain way, just remove the pad.

The radio will probably be fine, but my guess would be that the clock spring is a a loss. Dry out the vehicle, maybe you got lucky. It will take awhile.

Just remembered, there was no problem with my clockspring, but is was replaced under a recall for my 2010.