Issue with soft top behind door issue on 2014 JK

ErnDog

Supporting Member
New to JK's I have a TJ, my wife (new to Her) 2014 2 door JK, we think it has the original soft top it came with, we put the soft top down once so far, and we do not believe its previous owner has ever put the top down, now we can't figure out what we did wrong to fix the side windows from falling out of there place holders, please see attachment, this happens on both sides and we are not sure why. Thanks

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

I should add, I've watched several videos about soft top installations and they all talk about an L-shaped flap that gets installed into the window grove, hers doesn't have that L- shape flap, is this unusual ?

This is a pretty easy fix and has come up here before.

To reinstall the side windows, get the top zipper just started, between 2 and 5 inches. Second is getting the part you are having trouble with into it's groove. That bit of plastic on the front side of the window goes into a vertical groove in the door surround. Many assume that it just gets pushed in as you are probably doing. However, the groove can only be accessed when the door is open, and the front of the window will make a full J hook into it. What you are attempting to push it into is only 50% of the way.

Start at the top and jam it in there. Complete the zipper and then starting at the bottom front, start pushing the bottom plastic flap in. This will fully tension the window. Your problem area can't be inserted when there is much tension at all on the widow. Starting the zipper by a bit just makes the whole thing easier.

Dark out now, but if you need pics I can get them tomorrow at some point.

Reactions: Daddyo2373

To reinstall the side windows, get the top zipper just started, between 2 and 5 inches. Second is getting the part you are having trouble with into it's groove. That bit of plastic on the front side of the window goes into a vertical groove in the door surround. Many assume that it just gets pushed in as you are probably doing. However, the groove can only be accessed when the door is open, and the front of the window will make a full J hook into it. What you are attempting to push it into is only 50% of the way.

Start at the top and jam it in there. Complete the zipper and then starting at the bottom front, start pushing the bottom plastic flap in. This will fully tension the window. Your problem area can't be inserted when there is much tension at all on the widow. Starting the zipper by a bit just makes the whole thing easier.

That’s great thank you. Pictures would really help.

Thank you. Please send pictures. I don’t see the groove.