Is it true I can't flat tow my JK Rubicon?

Sboyes23

My 2013 2D automatic Rubicon manual says it cannot be flat towed? Really? Forgive me I know nothing about towing, that is why I am asking. Buying a Class A and hope to tow a Jeep. I will be replacing my current Wrangler in 2022 with an Unlimited. Is it true I can't flat tow my current Rubicon? And with towing in mind, what options etc do I need to get on my Unlimited in 2022 so I can tow iI. Single woman so I don't want to have a trailer as that is too complicated for me. I just want to flat tow my Jeep behind by diesel pusher and go out and have fun!! Help please. Your schooling will be much appreciated.

This is a screenshot of my 2016 owners manual pdf

Screenshot_20200926-161210.png

It clearly indicates it CAN be towed. Perhaps you misread something somewhere? We are also looking at Class A's because Wranglers and even Cherokees can be towed easily.

To be clear, I do not have a motorhome so I don't have first hand experience flat towing JK's, so perhaps someone with direct knowledge will chime in.

I plan on towing my 17 JKU Rubicon behind my class A Diesel Pusher. My only question is do I need to disconnect the battery? The manual says nothing about it but the procedure for putting the transfer back in 2H and getting it ready to drive says to reconnect the neg. battery cable.

Please note the above snip from the owner's manual shows a header that says "Towing a Disabled Vehicle."

You can most certainly flat tow a wrangler. Look at the Recreational Towing section or Towing Behind Another Vehicle.
I believe you'll find the info you need starting on pages 573-577

Please note the above snip from the owner's manual shows a header that says "Towing a Disabled Vehicle."

You can most certainly flat tow a wrangler. Look at the Recreational Towing section or Towing Behind Another Vehicle.
I believe you'll find the info you need starting on pages 573-577
Exactly. I just posted the first mention of it and it references the Recreational Towing section on that page.

Sboyes23, I certainly didn't think you made it up, but I was confused! :) I think the confusion comes from the fact that the page you indicate speaks of "disabled" vehicles. I'm sure liability reasons are behind Jeep stating the Wrangler must be on a flatbed because there is no way for Jeep to know what caused the vehicle to become disabled.

I looked at my daughters 2012 manual, and on page 485 her manual begins the section on Recreational Towing (which is what you are interested in). I would search for the heading "Recreational Towing" in your manual. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp
Here is my manual, I didn't make this up

View attachment 116849
Jeep is protecting itself and the vehicle's warranty by telling you it is not safe to flat tow a disabled vehicle. And, to be honest, if I broke my Jeep on the highway, the only way I'd allow it to be towed is on a rollback. Your Jeep is disabled when it is broke down, not when it is not being driven or towed.

Look, we're not making this up, either. The Jeep is the most singularly popular vehicle for flat towing behind RVs in this country. Sorry, the page numbers I quoted in my earlier post were from a 2014 JK owner's manual. The correct pages from the 2013 owner's manual are 540-544:

1601403543652.png

1601403577053.png

1601403605695.png

1601403642706.png

1601403670132.png

Last edited:
Here is that section from the 17 manual in the second part #3 says to reconnect the ground cable but in the first section it never states to disconnect.
page329image48864576
page329image48858240

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
  2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
  4. Turn the engine OFF.
  5. Shift the transfer case lever into NEUTRAL (N).
  6. Start the engine.
  7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
  8. Release the brake pedal (and clutch pedal on manual transmissions) for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
  9. Repeat steps seven and eight with automatic transmis- sion in DRIVE or manual transmission in first gear.
10. Turn the engine OFF amd leave the ignition in the unlocked ACC position.
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK or place manual transmission in gear (NOT in NEUTRAL).
CAUTION!
Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmis- sion is shifted into PARK with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running. With the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the engine is OFF before shifting the transmission into PARK.
13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.
Shifting Out of NEUTRAL (N)
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for normal usage.
  1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it con- nected to the tow vehicle.
  2. Firmly apply the parking brake.
  3. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Turn the ignition to the LOCK position.
  5. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.
    6. Press and hold the brake pedal.
    7. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
    8. Shift the transfer case lever to the desired position.
    NOTE: When shifting the transfer case out of NEUTRAL (N), the engine should remain OFF to avoid gear clash.
    9. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK, or place manual transmission in NEUTRAL.
    10. Release the brake pedal.
    11. Disconnect vehicle from the tow vehicle.
    1. Start the engine.
    2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
    3. Release the parking brake.
    4. Shift the transmission into gear, release the brake pedal (and clutch pedal on manual transmissions), and check that the vehicle operates normally.

Flat tow all set by myself with brake buddy auxillary brake. Just returned from a very short trip over to Red Lodge Montana. Saw grizzly bear, moose and so much beauty. All within about an hour from our home.
D7AE23F0-CD54-4530-A2BA-FDC4E7BC0B04.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
I have to think it's all about whether Jeep thinks someone can successfully get the transfer case into neutral. If the jeep is disabled you might not be able too.

Reactions: mrjp
Does anyone know the reason why you tow in park, and why the trans can't be shifted into park with the transfer case in neutral?
You tow in park so the transmission fluid doesn't burn up. Some vehicles actually need an aux pump to keep the fluid flowing while in tow. I just checked and I was able to shift the transmission into park with the transfer case in neutral. You do this with the key on acc and the engine not running.

Reactions: mrjp and Largehit71