Is anyone into HAM radio?

Agenthalo

I've taken an introductory class when i was maybe 15 years old, really loved the idea of being able to bounce my messages off the atmosphere! been looking to get my license and a setup for my jeep. let me know if you are into that and what kind of setup you have! looking for classes and exams soon, just have to knock a few things out of the way first!

N2JPZ here. Have a Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my JK. Since I also have an Android head unit, I run APRSDroid on it as well.

Lots of resources on the web to help you on your way.

N2RSR here, Just purchased a used 15' JK 2 door softop on 4/25/20. Haven't thought that far ahead but it would seem an install should be fairly easy.

There's a good app on Android - looks very old-school but it has all of the questions for the test (and answers). Search for HAM test prep - the icon is a yellow diamond-ish

Reactions: JerryD
Is he American or Swedish? If he's U.S., I suspect the first letter is "K" rather than "H".

But it begs the question, why aren't you?

;)

Jerry

Is he American or Swedish? If he's U.S., I suspect the first letter is "K" rather than "H".

But it begs the question, why aren't you?

;)

Jerry
Yes - you are correct, his is from the US... his ID starts with "K", my type-o.

Oh man, HAM radio is too expensive for me.

I have asked my cousin if a hand held HAM radio might be able to communicate from some of the remote hiking areas I do in northern Michigan, where there is no cell phone signal. It is a mountainous area in the Huron Mountains with a deep gorge at the base of the Yellowdog River. I like to hike/fish the river.

How much do I like the area? well, I bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler so that I can drive into some pretty darn remote areas to park at the trail head and hike into some nice wilderness fishing grounds.

Safety is kind of a concern, 1 twisted ankle and it might be several cold nights before you are found. So I kind of wondered if a hand held HAM radio might be an option.

I have asked my cousin if a hand held HAM radio might be able to communicate from some of the remote hiking areas I do in northern Michigan, where there is no cell phone signal. It is a mountainous area in the Huron Mountains with a deep gorge at the base of the Yellowdog River. I like to hike/fish the river.

How much do I like the area? well, I bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler so that I can drive into some pretty darn remote areas to park at the trail head and hike into some nice wilderness fishing grounds.

Safety is kind of a concern, 1 twisted ankle and it might be several cold nights before you are found. So I kind of wondered if a hand held HAM radio might be an option.

I grew up in Mid Michigan (Bay City, actually) and now live just NE of Grand Rapids in Rockford. Nothing like some solitude of Northern Michigan. :)

Ham can certainly be "A" solution. Depending on terrain, there are ways to have a handheld transceiver (HT) on you and a more powerful radio in your Jeep which can re-transmit your position further if you are really out there.

Where in Michigan are you? Lots of clubs around that can help and I'm sure you can bug your cousin. Also, it doesn't HAVE to be expensive. A decent mobile radio + antenna can be had for $250 (and less). The HT to use for walks you can get for $25. Most hobbies (and/or safety equipment) have SOME start up costs. This isn't too bad for some. For cryin' out loud... shall we talk fishing tackle??? :D

See you on the trails!
Jerry

I am a "Ham" and a backpacker. Handheld ham radios on the 2 meter band and similar VHF frequencies work over longer distances when using radio repeaters.
For safety in remote area where cell service is not reliable, I carry the Garmin InReach mini. This unit gives me two way satellite communication with my family. A certain piece of mind and it bluetooths to my phone for easier navigation.

Reactions: dl08in and Tom_H
K0THC here. I've had my ticket for a couple of years, but I'm just now starting to learn it, lol. Life gets in the way all too often!

Currently, I have a HT and Kenwood TM-281A. It's my 'base station' for now, but will most likely end up in Grover.

T

Reactions: mrjp
Yes there are probably a lot of ham operators on this forum. I have been a ham for about 25 years and primarily run 2 meter radios in my vehicles. I am fond of Kenwood radios although I own others. My call is N8BUD.

Reactions: JKTimmah
I helped my cousin put up a new Ham Radio antenna 2 weeks ago :)

825F61FA-8112-41B8-BCE5-E7F6BAE2AB17.jpeg

Safety is kind of a concern, 1 twisted ankle and it might be several cold nights before you are found. So I kind of wondered if a hand held HAM radio might be an
I am a "Ham" and a backpacker. Handheld ham radios on the 2 meter band and similar VHF frequencies work over longer distances when using radio repeaters.
For safety in remote area where cell service is not reliable, I carry the Garmin InReach mini. This unit gives me two way satellite communication with my family. A certain piece of mind and it bluetooths to my phone for easier navigation.
A PERSONAL RESCUE BEACON IS BEST OPTION, THEIR ABOUT $200, US AIR FORCE SATELLITES WATCH FOR THEM , GET EXACT COORDINATES AND SEND AIR RESCUE. NEXT OPTION A SAT PHONE, THERE ARE ALSO SATELLITE TEXT PAGERS... DONT RISK YOUR LIFE ON A 2 WAY RADIO IN RUGGED TERRAIN.. YOUR ASKING TO BE BEAR LUNCH.

a few years back the fcc changed all the questions... it doest mean old ones are i valid, but they will be worded differently and there are new questions
There's a good app on Android - looks very old-school but it has all of the questions for the test (and answers). Search for HAM test prep - the icon is a yellow diamond-ish

• Dislike
Reactions: Dirty Dog