Intermittent starting issues

Bryan2280

I bought a used automatic 08 JKSU last year that experiences intermittent issues when starting. The starter was replaced before purchasing. If the issue occurs I just shift into neutral and it starts or put back in park, turn the key off and then attempt again. I can always get it to start, it just usually takes this process once or twice before success. Totally integrated power module has been suggested in the past as a problem but my mechanic doesn't seem to think so. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks in advance

I was talking to my friend who also owns a 2008 JKU and this is what he said in response to your issue:

"It’s a factory problem. There’s a wiring defect on all 08s made before May of 2008. It’s about $180 and the dealership has to replace some wires that lead to the starter. Mine has the same problem, check the VIN and see when it was built and if it was before May of 08 I’d bet money that it’s this wiring problem."

I am also experiencing the same problem and the dealership said it was ignition coil but that didn’t fix it. As anyone found how to fix this problem

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
I am also experiencing the same problem and the dealership said it was ignition coil but that didn’t fix it. As anyone found how to fix this problem

The dealership didn't manage to fix it then? They just sent it back to you and said they couldn't figure it out?

They said it was ignition coil and charged me about 200$ to fix it and said it was fixed but it isn’t fixed it is still acting up after having the ignition coil fixed.

If you have a auto trans the shifter cable bushings could be bad causing slop in the linkage.

I bought my 18' Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unlimited june 2, and on june 6th I stopped to get gas and it would not start. After about a half hr to 45 min wait it will. Happened multiple times and has been in the shop since. An actual Jeep dealership has had it the last 3 wks and cannot figure it out. It will only do it if I drive it atleast a half hr. But once it cools down, it starts. If I move the shifter back and forth a few times it will start.. Never does it for little runs around town. I love my jeep even though it's been in the shop. Anybody have this issue that actually was fixed?? Jeep thinks maybe the starter. But not really sure..

I bought my 18' Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unlimited june 2, and on june 6th I stopped to get gas and it would not start. After about a half hr to 45 min wait it will. Happened multiple times and has been in the shop since. An actual Jeep dealership has had it the last 3 wks and cannot figure it out. It will only do it if I drive it atleast a half hr. But once it cools down, it starts. If I move the shifter back and forth a few times it will start.. Never does it for little runs around town. I love my jeep even though it's been in the shop. Anybody have this issue that actually was fixed?? Jeep thinks maybe the starter. But not really sure..
I had this problem with my 2008 jk it took them forever to fix. It would randomly start when it wanted but sometimes didn’t and it would start when moving the gear shift. After a month the dealership found it was the neutral safety switch ( it’s called something else) but basically it was telling my car it was in neutral when it was in park. That could be the issue. I would ask the dealership to look into that and see if that’s the problem

I had this problem with my 2008 jk it took them forever to fix. It would randomly start when it wanted but sometimes didn’t and it would start when moving the gear shift. After a month the dealership found it was the neutral safety switch ( it’s called something else) but basically it was telling my car it was in neutral when it was in park. That could be the issue. I would ask the dealership to look into that and see if that’s the problem
The first shop that had it said they thought that is what it was. Jeep dealership said it would do it everytime and being that 1 time it didnt..they wont look. They think its heat related, but dont know where to start..

The first shop that had it said they thought that is what it was. Jeep dealership said it would do it everytime and being that 1 time it didnt..they wont look. They think its heat related, but dont know where to start..
Mine would start for a week straight and then wouldn’t but as soon as I took it to the shop it would start just fine I had to get it towed a couple of times because it wouldn’t start but then when it got to the dealership it would start just fine. It could be something else but it never hurts to call them and ask about it. The only way the dealership found the problem with mine is because the mechanic researched a lot about it and there was the same make and model Jeep with a same oil leak and starting problem as me and that’s how they fixed it. I hope you figure it out.

Mine would start for a week straight and then wouldn’t but as soon as I took it to the shop it would start just fine I had to get it towed a couple of times because it wouldn’t start but then when it got to the dealership it would start just fine. It could be something else but it never hurts to call them and ask about it. The only way the dealership found the problem with mine is because the mechanic researched a lot about it and there was the same make and model Jeep with a same oil leak and starting problem as me and that’s how they fixed it. I hope you figure it out.
Thanks..me too

From what I understand the neutral switch is inside the trans so it would be heat related.

They figured it out! And only because of a service bulletin that came out Friday. They said its the valve body. Replaced the valve in the transmission and hasn't done it since. Get my jeep today. Bought 2 months ago and shops had it since 1st wk..I'm sooooo happy right now

They figured it out! And only because of a service bulletin that came out Friday. They said its the valve body. Replaced the valve in the transmission and hasn't done it since. Get my jeep today. Bought 2 months ago and shops had it since 1st wk..I'm sooooo happy right now
Did the fix solve the issue? Dealer is wanting $1600.00 to replace the valve and I want to make sure.

Generally speaking, if you know the issue the dealership is the last place to go. I go there only for very specific things, or warranty. There is nothing that makes the dealership mechs any better than the random mech shop down the road.