Installing a new ham radio

Daledevon

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am installing my new ham radio in my 2012 jk Rubicon. For me the best place seems like attaching it to the driver overhead speaker. I'm thinking about what to use. Self tapping screws or some sort of a Molly. I obviously what it to stay put, but wonder about what is inside the speaker, will I ruin the speaker with these screws? Any advice is appreciated.

Something like this may help you out. I haven’t used it, but they look pretty handy. There are A few different styles available.

FEEC394E-2DBE-461E-B60E-AFC22531198E.png

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD
Where exactly are you drilling. Not a lot of space in the speaker bar cavity. What radio? A radio with a detachable face plate and speaker is easier. Otherwise, what @Danarch posted might be a good way to go.

Mine is a Yaesu FTM-400 withe the body under the dash, control head above the rear view and a speaker at the front of the center console (don't like that, but I haven't changed it yet, so it works).

Reactions: Duron and mrjp
Something like this may help you out. I haven’t used it, but they look pretty handy. There are A few different styles available.

View attachment 119391
This looked great until I factor in my switch pod mounted above the mirror. But it gave me ideas and I think I found a MOLLE bin that fits behind the front seat that I can attach to.

Where exactly are you drilling. Not a lot of space in the speaker bar cavity. What radio? A radio with a detachable face plate and speaker is easier. Otherwise, what @Danarch posted might be a good way to go.

Mine is a Yaesu FTM-400 withe the body under the dash, control head above the rear view and a speaker at the front of the center console (don't like that, but I haven't changed it yet, so it works).
Mine is a tyt 7800. I do have the face plate that I was planning just in front of the gear shift.

This one is s-pod compatible

Reactions: mrjp
Not a real good photo....I ran a 1x2 inch length of aluminum rectangular tubing (painted black) from roll bar side to side , notching the end to fit under the roll bar with self drilling screws 2 on each side right over the padding. spaced back just far enough to let the sun visor pull down. It allows space on top to house a 220 and a dual band and a policer receiver. It works for me.

100_0052.JPG

Reactions: mrjp
Not a real good photo....I ran a 1x2 inch length of aluminum rectangular tubing (painted black) from roll bar side to side , notching the end to fit under the roll bar with self drilling screws 2 on each side right over the padding. spaced back just far enough to let the sun visor pull down. It allows space on top to house a 220 and a dual band and a policer receiver. It works for me