I’m just baffled

Outlawpapa

Hello there and thanks for checking this out. Here’s my problem. I have an 07 jk Sahara with 45k and it has been nothing but problems from day one. Currently she won’t start. For awhile it would start then shut off immediately like it was being stolen, I ended up pulling the security fuse for it and it was fine for about 30 starts or so and about a year. Now that my emissions is due three weeks ago it went back to doing that again. I replaced the fuse (I think it was the right one). It still did it, after sitting awhile I tried to pull the iOd fuse j13. After that I tried to restart and my power appears fine and when I try to turn key I hear a click on the engine fuse box but no attempt to crank. I pulled battery terminals and cleaned, ground is connected. I tried putting a battery jumper on and the same happens. I noticed my key lock/unlock does nothing. No horn, no light flash. Nothing. I also changed batteries in both keys. This must be all related I would assume. Also if by chance it makes a difference I do have both front doors off. 🤷‍♂️ now I’m thinking it must be the wireless control mod?? Any help would be appreciated, it’s about to get yet another tow to the dealership. Again only 45k. Would love to get to the bottom of this with out the dealership diagnosis fee. Also for what ever it’s worth problemly unrelated but the radio always cuts out while driving. Dash stays on, just silent. If you’ve made it this far, thank you, your time is appreciated.

Is there a way to test that, sounds extremely expensive to have replaced.
Sure, anything can be tested... but testing the TIPM would require you to have specialized skills and tools. If you had them, you wouldn't be asking.
So, in most cases, it's necessary to take it to a shop for diagnosis, or make an assumption based on the specific symptoms you're seeing.
The TIPM is fairly expensive, yes. I replaced one recently. I think a rebuilt TIPM will run you $600-$700. A new one (if you can find one) will be about $1,000.

Reactions: tJKrider
Sure, anything can be tested... but testing the TIPM would require you to have specialized skills and tools. If you had them, you wouldn't be asking.
So, in most cases, it's necessary to take it to a shop for diagnosis, or make an assumption based on the specific symptoms you're seeing.
The TIPM is fairly expensive, yes. I replaced one recently. I think a rebuilt TIPM will run you $600-$700. A new one (if you can find one) will be about $1,000.
Ya thanks dirty, and I absolutely do not have the skills or tools for that. The dealership is estimating between diagnosis and instal of that if it is the problem they’re at 2,100. This thing has been nothing but problems, I still have the water pump on my bench to switch out once it finally runs. And again only 46k.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Where did you find it for $1,700? I found it on TIPM Rebuilders for $600-ish rebuilt. If they have new in stock it's a bit over $1,000.
That’s what the dealer is telling me. And I’d I don’t end up getting the part from them I’ll have to tow it there for the diagnostic, if it is the problem tow it home while I order it then tow it back for the instal. A conundrum they have me in.

That’s what the dealer is telling me. And I’d I don’t end up getting the part from them I’ll have to tow it there for the diagnostic, if it is the problem tow it home while I order it then tow it back for the instal. A conundrum they have me in.
That's insane. Testing a TIPM is difficult and requires special tools and knowledge. Swapping one, on the other hand, is quick, easy, and requires no special tools. As I recall from changing mine (it's been a few months, and I'm old, so...) all it takes is a couple sockets (or wrenches) a screwdriver, and less than an hour.

Reactions: Outlawpapa
That's insane. Testing a TIPM is difficult and requires special tools and knowledge. Swapping one, on the other hand, is quick, easy, and requires no special tools. As I recall from changing mine (it's been a few months, and I'm old, so...) all it takes is a couple sockets (or wrenches) a screwdriver, and less than an hour.
I see, they did quote about an hour for the work but I was under the impression from reading else where on here that it has to be programmed to your vin number and keys re programmed. I’m also crunched on time because my emissions is almost a month over and at some point I’ll loose my registration. I have four small kids and time has gotten away from me. Appreciate your time sir.

I see, they did quote about an hour for the work but I was under the impression from reading else where on here that it has to be programmed to your vin number and keys re programmed. I’m also crunched on time because my emissions is almost a month over and at some point I’ll loose my registration. I have four small kids and time has gotten away from me. Appreciate your time sir.
They're still bending you over, and not even providing any lube.
When I ordered mine, I provided my VIN and it was programmed before being sent to me. I think it cost something like $70. The programmed TIPM cost a bit less than $700.
I did nothing with my key fobs and they work just fine. But if I did need to program a fob, I'd grab JScan (which every Jeep owner should have regardless) and program it. A single VIN copy of JScan and an appropriate OBDII dongle costs about $50 total. And programming a fob (which, again, I didn't need to do) takes just a few minutes.
They're demonstrating why they're referred to by many as Stealerships.

Reactions: Outlawpapa
They're still bending you over, and not even providing any lube.
When I ordered mine, I provided my VIN and it was programmed before being sent to me. I think it cost something like $70. The programmed TIPM cost a bit less than $700.
I did nothing with my key fobs and they work just fine. But if I did need to program a fob, I'd grab JScan (which every Jeep owner should have regardless) and program it. A single VIN copy of JScan and an appropriate OBDII dongle costs about $50 total. And programming a fob (which, again, I didn't need to do) takes just a few minutes.
They're demonstrating why they're referred to by many as Stealerships.
Oh man it sounds so enticing to try, didn’t realize they can program the go also. how quick did they get it to you? I wish I was much better at diagnostics because before the key stopped working at all, I was under the impression it was the WCM. I’ll have to check on some YouTube videos on the swap over. It does make sense that it could be the problem especially with the radio cutting out randomly. I also had random abs lights on and such when it drove last even though they worked fine. Thank you kindly sir.