Hyperflash after installing LED turn signals

Because wranglers flasher relay is integrated, the only thing that can be done is to put a resistor into the wiring. There are a number of videos spread around the internet.
the reason it does this is because the blinker electronics are calibrated to deal with the resistance of a standard bulb and LEDs have less.

Reactions: AUBoggs
No, the clicking you hear when turn on the turn signal is a mechanical sound, usually anyway. it is the opening and closing of a circuit similar to a light switch. In many vehicles this was controlled by a relay that could be swapped out for one that is designed for the low LED load rating. The hyperflashing is a safety mechanism that is designed in to alert the driver when the bulb isn't pulling enough current, thus the lower current LEDs activate this safety feature.
As far as I'm aware, the only thing that can be done is add in a resistor into the circuit. It's one reason many of us here don't switch to LED turn signals. By adding that resistor you loose the hyperflash safety feature. Some bulbs will actually come with the resistor.
I gave up on turn signal LEDs, too much of a pain in the butt, and not actually much brighter.

I'm curious what turn signals you installed. just the bulb or a full kit?

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
I installed a full kit that came with headlights and fogs and they both act as turn signals, I put one set of resisters in and there is still a hyper flash, the resisters are hooked up to both the headlights and the fogs, but on the box, it said they were only good for a singular pair of turn signals, I'm wondering if I need to get another pair of resisters since I technically have 4 turn signals in the front. or I could just cut the fogs turn signals wires

Ok, so these are halos that turn amber for turn signals? Are the normal turn signals still working? The halo turn signals I have are wired where the LED part isn't responsible for the load on the system, but if I were to replace the standard turn markers with an LED bulb I would get the hyper-flash.

I'm unsure why they would have you install resistors for this. Please link the thing you bought.

You are going to have to do some trial and error checking. Hopefully you have quick disconnects for the new pieces that you can just disconnect and check. Putting mine in, I had to redo a couple things because of gremlins. I just turned on the blinker reconnected to make sure things were working. It's just DC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LWHTGC/?tag=jkforum-20

this is the lights I got, they are just from amazon, I'm not using my normal turn signals because i have a different bumper so i put the fogs where the blinkers would go.
Ok, those look to be basically the same as mine, and the fact that you removed your old turn signals is almost certainly why you are getting hyper-flashing. You are having a problem because it is not wired how they are intended.
At least the ones I have are wired to not bypass the wiring of the OEM signals. Meaning, they blink in time with the OEM signals, but they don't give the signal a lower load path that then causes hyper-flashing.

If you keep it this way, please never turn the fog lights on when not off-road. People will not be able to see your turn signals, and you will probably be blinding them because that is not where fog lights are supposed to go.

I usually don’t use my fogs anyways, I just use them as blinkers and Side markers, do you think if I hook up the oem blinkers to my system this might fix the problem, or if I find a resister that can hold enough power to trick the system with the right enough of power

Yeah, put the original back in. You don't see many LED turn signals on jeeps for a reason. In order to get them to work you have to loose the hyper-flash safety feature, either by HF all the time, or using a resistor and they will just never HF again and LEDs do fail. These halos are designed to work in tandem with standard turn signals, not replace them. So if the normal bulb burns out, you will still get hyper-flashing.

Reactions: Hooperdog