Hub vs Shocks Issue - Help Please

GMTNRoxie16

So I am trying to figure out if I have a hub issue or a shock issue.

Background info. I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock, manual trans. it has 38,000 mile on it. I was stupid and have only rotated the tires a couple times...

Now the front tires, left a bit more than the right has cupping/scalloping wear on the treads. (one tread low, then one high, than middle, than low, etc.) Rear tires are fine.

I had started noticing a little re vibration recently and then the other day my traction control and ABS light came on.

So I’m pretty sure whatever is going on has stemmed from a lack of proper tire rotation, but can’t tell if I need to replace the hubs or the shocks in addition to the tires and speed sensor. I’d think 38,000mi would be too soon for shocks to be bad, but the cupping seems like more of a shock issue than a hub issue.

Thoughts?

You are correct to a point. The shocks would cause some tire wear. I believe by your description your failure to rotate is the culprit. Are the 38K miles mostly city? If so, the cupping is from when you’re turning sharp on hard surfaces or moving too fast around cloverleafs causing the outer front tire to scuff/slide more during the turn. Shorter wheel based 2 doors need rotation more often because of this.
I would recommend replacing the tires and rotate often if you came to my shop.

No issue but just a regular tire rotation every oil change.
Vibration will occur if you do not rotate them as they wear out unevenly.

You can check your hubs by jacking up one side and backing off the disc brake pads so the wheel turns free. I always found it easier to put wheel back on with just a couple nuts to hold it on. Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and move back and forth and watch for movement or have some else look from behind for movement. Movement can be either the ball joints or wheel hubs so sometimes it's easier to have someone help.

Reactions: mrjp
Oversize tires need more frequent rotating/balancing/alignment than stock. Even more so if you're going off-road. I highly doubt it's a shock issue- even the factory shocks should last 60-70k.

1603811890935.png