How to tell a "Real Rubicon"?

clifish

I am asking, not telling. I know in the TJ world it is as easy as looking at the 6 digit in the vin#, if it is a 6, it was at least "born" a Rubicon. Then to physically look to see if all the factory goodies are still on it.

Is it that easy in the JK world? I only ask as I have seen many CL "dealers" and one in particular in NJ that puts the decals on every Wrangler listed. He does not pretend they are a Rubicon, but he does not say they aren't unless you ask specifically.

Well, all you have to do is take the VIN and run it through that site to get the build sheet. That will tell you really fast if it's a Rubicon, as well as every option it came with.

Also, the Rubicon has a D44 front axle, whereas the non-Rubicon models have a D30. In addition, the Rubicon will have axle locker and sway bar disconnect buttons on the left side of the dashboard.

The Rubicon model also has a gauge cluster that says, "Rubicon" right on the gauges.

Reactions: clifish
The tj Rubicon has an axle lock switch in the center dash, and the jk Rubicon also has one. All the way to the left of the dash to the left of the steering wheel. If that axle switch isn’t there it isn’t a Rubicon.

Well, all you have to do is take the VIN and run it through that site to get the build sheet. That will tell you really fast if it's a Rubicon, as well as every option it came with.

Also, the Rubicon has a D44 front axle, whereas the non-Rubicon models have a D30. In addition, the Rubicon will have axle locker and sway bar disconnect buttons on the left side of the dashboard.

The Rubicon model also has a gauge cluster that says, "Rubicon" right on the gauges.

Base rubicons don’t mention Rubicon on the dash.

C781FF99-DFB0-48E8-ACA4-744BA04DE6A1.jpeg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
VIN number is a good bet but if you can drive it put it in 4LO.... test the lockers.... on pavement.
If it shifts at 5mph, 10mph, 15mph, 20mph..... it is a Rubi with the 4:1 Granny Case.
And locked up it will not want to turn on pavement.

07-10 the switches are in the middle of the dash below heater controls. Also mine doesn't have Rubicon on my dash.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAL07