How to Replace the Clockspring on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
A faulty clockspring is relatively easy to spot, because they generally cause the airbag light and warning chime to intermittently come on. Clockspring failure is also a common problem with the JK model Wranglers, to the point where a recall was issued for 2007 models. For those who have a 2008 and up, you're basically on your own. Dealerships are known to charge upwards of $550 for clockspring replacement, but the part itself is readily available online for as little as $80. This means that you can save a ton of money by replacing the clockspring yourself, and it isn't a terribly complicated job. Keep reading and we'll walk you through the process.

Nov-16-Clockspring-116800.png

Materials Needed
  • T20 driver
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • 13mm socket and ratchet
  • Dental pick (optional)
  • Torque wrench
Step 1 – Remove the steering column shroud
One of the first and most important steps is to disconnect the negative (black) battery cable and wait 15 minutes before proceeding. This allows the airbag system capacitor to discharge, which will prevent any "surprises" from happening once you start messing with the airbag components. Use a T20 driver to remove the screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud and pull the shroud off.

116050-116216.jpg

Figure 1. Remove screws from the bottom of the column shroud.

116051-116219.jpg

Figure 2. Remove the steering column shroud.

Step 2 – Remove the airbag module
To remove the airbag module, you must release three clips that hold it in place on the back of the module. The easiest way to do this is to turn the steering wheel so that the opening on the wheel is positioned above that particular clip. Use a flat head screwdriver or dental pick to release the three clips and pull the module out. Disconnect the two electrical connectors on the back of the module and remove it.

116054-116227.jpg

Figure 3. Release the three clips that hold the airbag module in place.

116055-116229.jpg

Figure 4. Disconnect electrical connectors on back of module.

Step 3 – Remove the clockspring
Remove the electrical connectors for the cruise control and the clockspring. Remove the 13mm steering wheel bolt and pull the steering wheel off. Remove the three T20 screws that hold the clockspring in place and disconnect the electrical connectors going into it. Remove the windshield wiper stalk and the turn signal stalk from the clockspring with a Phillips screwdriver. Discard the old clockspring.

116064-116231.jpg

Figure 5. Remove the electrical connector for the cruise control.

116065-116233.jpg

Figure 6. Remove the connector for the clockspring.

116066-116235.jpg

Figure 7. Remove the steering wheel bolt.

116068-116237.jpg

Figure 8. Remove the clockspring screws.

116069-116239.jpg

Figure 9. Remove the windshield wiper stalk.

116070-116241.jpg

Figure 10. Remove the turn signal stalk.

Step 4 – Install the new clockspring
Install the turn signal stalk and the windshield wiper stalk on the new clockspring. Set the new clockspring in place and reinstall the three screws. Reinstall the steering wheel and pull the yellow protector on the new clockspring out. Reinstall the two electrical connectors and the steering wheel bolt, which should be torqued to 40 lb/ft if you have a torque wrench. Reconnect the airbag electrical connectors and push the airbag module back in place until you hear the clips snap together. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

116077-116245.jpg

Figure 11. Install the wiper and turn signal stalks on the new clockspring.

116075-116247.jpg

Figure 12. Install the new clockspring and replace screws.

116078-116249.jpg

Figure 13. Reinstall the steering wheel and bolt.

116079-116253.jpg

Figure 14. Reinstall the airbag control module.

Featured Video: JK Wrangler Clockspring Replacement

Awesome write-up, ut I did have one question about releasing the 3 airbag hooks. It seems that since I brought my Jeep in for the recall 3 years ago, I only have one hole accessible to the hook and not the three. Any advice on how to get to the other 2. Thanks again!

Great write up!!! 1 quick question... is there a different clock spring for with and without cruise control?

Awesome write-up, ut I did have one question about releasing the 3 airbag hooks. It seems that since I brought my Jeep in for the recall 3 years ago, I only have one hole accessible to the hook and not the three. Any advice on how to get to the other 2. Thanks again!
I found the same issue with my 07, I ended up getting a hook between the airbag lip and the cover that is goes over, ( has a beveled edge) and working my hook to the other 2 airbag hooks and pulling up on them to release each one. Once in there, I drilled a large hole through the plastic at the locations where the cut outs should have been so that when I need to get back in there next time it wont be such a pain