How to Replace Cabin Air Filter in a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Visit a local mechanic or Jeep dealer and you could spend anywhere between $70 and $100 for a cabin air filter replacement, including parts and labor. Complete the repair on your own and you only need to cover the cost of parts, which should run you approximately $7 (retail cost). Plus, by making the repair on your own, you'll further save when it comes to time. Making an appointment at a local mechanic or Jeep dealer could require one to three hours, depending on how busy the facility is at the time of your appointment. However, by making the repair on your own, you can complete the job in a fraction of that time. It really is that easy and affordable. Let's get started!

Nov-6-Cabin-Air-Fitler-114665.png

Materials Needed
  • Cabin air filter replacement
  • Razor (or) cutters
Step 1 – Take out your glove compartment
Press the stop-pins or release buttons located on either side of the opening to remove the glove compartment without much force. Be careful of the opening and make any needed adjustments as you slowly remove the glove compartment. Set it aside momentarily.

attachment.jpg

Figure 1. Remove your glove compartment.

Pro Tip
For the 2011 Jeep Wrangler (only), open the two screen doors, and then remove the filters, which retail for around $6 each. Close the screens and re-attach the glove compartment, and then you're done.

Step 2 – Enter "Recirculation" mode
Place your key into the ignition and turn on your vehicle. Switch your air conditioning system into "Recirculation" mode. This will cause the fan behind the air grate to expand and open. Turn off your engine and remove your key.

recirculate-air-symbol.jpg

Figure 2. This is the generic symbol for "Recirculation" mode.

Step 3 – Install new air filter
Go ahead and grab your razor or diagonal cutters and cut out the air grate, which should be facing toward the rear of the glove compartment. Discard the air grate in a trash can, and then install a replacement air filter—simply slide it in for a snug fit. You can find replacement air filters at local auto parts stores and online. Quality does not vary substantially from brand to brand; however, you will need to purchase an aftermarket air filter that is an equivalent to your original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

Cabin-Air-Filter-01-114914.jpg

Figure 3. This is an old air grate.

attachment.jpg

Figure 4. Install a new air filter.

From here, you need to reinstall the glove box and then you are done.

Reactions: simikilr and AmVet
I have been trying to remove and replace the cabin air filter on my 2017 JK. After removing the glove box, I see the plastic grate over the filter area. I can't get it out due to the speaker housing blocking the right half of the grate. Any clue how to get that off? I would rather not cut anything off as this thread shows.

Last edited:
I figured out the answer to my question. The upper push pin snapped off which allowed me to bend the plastic grate far enough out of the way to get the filters in there. As a matter of fact there were no filters in there. I wanted to add them due to the Canadian smoke. And yes, there are 2 in there. The lower snaps are enough to hold the parts together, so all is good.

I have been trying to remove and replace the cabin air filter on my 2017 JK. After removing the glove box, I see the plastic grate over the filter area. I can't get it out due to the speaker housing blocking the right half of the grate. Any clue how to get that off? I would rather not cut anything off as this thread shows.
Glad you figured this out!

Last edited: