How-to repair a leaking hardtop wiper motor on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Agenthalo

So i was picking up my tools, got my rear window all dusty, so i hit the rear wiper fluid on, and i saw water dripping from the cover of the mechanism. Kinda pissed off when i saw it was leaking, i started searching for the leak. the leak came from these little holes in the elbow nipple that the fluid line attaches to. my only guess is that somehow the brass line inside of the mechanism burst from someone putting water in the reservoir at the dealership. I searched this forum for a service manual and couldnt find one at all anywhere on pdf for free :( sad as i was, i still wanted to fix it. I then joined this forum, and fixed it, and am now posting the results! The part number is Mopar 68002489AA. it costs as low as $80 bucks before shipping. you may be able to find it at an auto zone or something, but i wasn't ready to give up yet. I fixed it for a fraction of $3. Heres the walkthrough, hope it helps someone out there.

IF ANYONE NEEDS POINTERS LET ME KNOW!
LIMITED PICTURES AS IT WAS DARK OUTSIDE

IF ANYONE HAS A PDF SERVICE MANUAL FOR JEEP WRANGLER SPORT UNLIMITED 2017 PLEASE!!! I WOULD LOVE A COPY!!!

ITEMS NEEDED :
[DRILL BITS/DRILL]
[PLIARS]
[SOCKET SET/WRENCHES]
[ANGLE GRINDER/METAL CUTOFF WHEEL-OPTIONAL]
[PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWDRIVER]
[T30 TORX BIT]
[MICRO FUEL LINE - 3/32" ID~3/16" OD- ABOUT 6" SHOULD DO THE TRICK]
[SILICONE SEALANT- I USED RTV4500- JUST BECAUSE]
[ABOUT A HALF HOUR WITH A BEER AND TORTILLA CHIP BREAK]

• START BY REMOVING THE WIPER ARM ON THE OUTSIDE, BE CAREFUL NOT TO FORCE OR SNAP ANYTHING, JUST WIGGLE AND IT WILL COME LOOSE.
  • REMOVE REMAINING FITTINGS ON THE OUTSIDE.
  • DETACH THE FLUID HOSE AND POWER TO THE MECHANISM.
  • REMOVE REMAINING SCREW USING A T30 TORX BIT BY TURNING RIGHT, IT COMES OFF ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW.
  • LOOSEN THE 10MM NUT IN ORDER TO FREE THE MECHANISM.
  • PUT 10MM SOCKET BACK IN GUN SAFE:ROFLMAO:.
  • WHEN YOU HAVE THE MECHANISM FREE FIND A NICE SURFACE TO OPEN IT UP, LAY DOWN SOME SHOP TOWELS OR SOMETHING.
  • PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWDRIVER TO BUST IT OPEN.
  • YOU WILL FIND THE BRASS TUBE IS ATTACHED TO THE ELBOW, AND THE TUBE GOES THROUGH THE MECHANISM NIPPLE TO THE SPRAYER HEAD.
  • REMOVE THE SPRAYER HEAD WITH PLIARS IF YOU CANNOT OPEN IT UP. IN THIS CASE YOUR BRASS TUBE IS RUPTURED ON ITS SIDE.
  • DRILL OUT THE NIPPLE TO ACCEPT THE MICRO FUEL LINE ALL THE WAY THROUGH.
  • THE 90 DEGREE HOSE BARB IS ATTACHED TO THE BRASS TUBE, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VIABLE TUBE TO WORK WITH, SO CUT THE TUBE IF YOU NEED TO, USING THE ANGLE GRIDER/DREMEL WHATEVER YOU HAVE. CLEAN ANY BURRS OF IF YOU CAN. MAKE SURE THERE'S NO BRASS SHAVINGS INSIDE AFTER YOU CUT IT/RUN WATER THROUGH IT.
  • PUT A SMALL COAT OF SILICONE ON THE CLEANED BRASS TUBE.
  • HEAT UP ONE END OF A SIX INCH PIECE OF MICRO FUEL LINE, AND FEED THE CLEANED TUBE INTO THE HEATED END OF THE FUEL LINE AS DEPICTED ON THE LEFT.
  • OPEN MECHANISM.jpg
  • PUT THE MECHANISM BACK TOGETHER, FEEDING THE HOSE THROUGH THE OTHER SIDE OF THE NIPPLE, AND MARK THE END OF THE NIPPLE ON THE HOSE.
  • CUT THE HOSE ABOUT 3/16" SHORTER THAN THE MARK. THIS IS SO THAT THE SPRAYER HEAD WILL SEAT COMPLETELY. (SPRAYER HEAD DEPICTED BELOW)
  • NOZZLE.jpg
  • WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED, PUT THE MECHANISM BACK TOGETHER AND MOUNT IT BACK ON TO YOUR REAR WINDOW.
  • MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE WIPER ARM IN THE "UP" POSITION OR WHATEVER POSITION IT RESTS IN.
  • BEFORE INSTALLING THE SPRAYER HEAD, PUT A SMALL COATING OF SILICONE TOWARDS THE NOZZLE PORTION OF THE HEAD, AS TO NOT CLOG THE LINE WITH SILICONE.
  • WHEN POSITIONING THE NOZZLE, MAKE SURE IT SPRAYS INTO THE PATH OF THE WIPER BLADE. WHEN SEATING IT, IT SHOULD FIT ALL THE WAY UNTIL IT IS SEATED COMPLETELY.
  • RECONNECT THE WIRES/HOSE.
  • IT SHOULD BE A TIGHT ENOUGH CONNECTION TO TEST IF IT WORKS, SO GIVE IT A SHOT...:oops:IT WORKS:oops:...
  • ITS A CLEAN FIX, COMPLETELY UNNOTICEABLE, AND IT NEVER HAPPENED!:geek:
  • YOU NOW SAVED YOURSELF $80-$90 BEFORE SHIPPING!:cool:
  • YAY YOU!(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Chris
I have this exact problem happening now. I was hoping the plastic fitting that the hose attaches to was clogged. I’ve tried to remove that fitting but could not. I was also told that there was possibly a clogged screen inside that fitting or inside the pump. Was your brass line inside actually broken ?

MY 2017 JK Wrangler started doing the same damn thing. Leaking from the Wiper motor housing INSIDE the Jeep! I bought this Jeep brand new and have had it for 5 years now. Just purchased it after the lease was up then this silly situation occurs.

• Sad
Reactions: mrjp