How to program a new key FOB for your Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Programming
To program your replacement key, you'll need to do the following:
  • Insert your original key (with transponder) into the ignition, and then turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Don't run your engine at this point.
  • Check for lights on the dashboard.
  • Within 5 to 15 seconds of turning your engine on, turn your engine to the "OFF" position.
  • You now have 15 seconds to insert your second key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Observe the Sentry Key Immobilizer System light flash, which is represented by a red dot over the temperature gauge.
  • You have 45 seconds to turn the key to the "OFF" position.
  • Insert your new key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Wait for an indicator sound, which should go off within 10 seconds of turning the key. The indicator light should also flash for three seconds.
  • Remove the key and programming is complete.

Common Problems
If a new or original key stops working, the most likely culprit is a faulty battery. The internal chip in your key fob could also be damaged or require further programming, which would need to be done through a local dealer using specialized equipment. As well, be sure the retaining clip is holding the battery in properly. If it's damaged, you transponder won't work and you will not have access to keyless entry until the problem is fixed. An issue with your wireless control module could also prove problematic. Try resetting it (e.g., disconnect and remove car battery, pull out the IOD fuse using the fuse puller, wait 30 seconds and then put everything back into place). If there is a short, however, you'll need to seek outside help unless you are skilled in replacing modules.

keyfob0-620x521.jpg

Figure 3. Key fob damage is common.

Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find additional information about replacing or repairing my spare key(s)?
You'll find important information about creating a spare key for your Jeep Wrangler in your owner's manual. You should also speak with your local Jeep dealer, should you have further questions.

When is the best time to create a spare key?
The best time to create a spare key is when you have two functional keys from which to work. Otherwise, you will need to visit a local Jeep dealer.

How many keys can be programmed by the owner?
Only eight. You can purchase a blank key with a transponder (no alarm) for less than $20 online, including shipping and tax.

Reactions: Brens07 and Filarks
I just made 2 more keys for my 2013.
$10 for 2 keys, 2 bucks to get both keys cut at a local plumbing store. The plumbing store could have programmed the keys for an additional fee, but I didn't need that service.

It is good to have a key hidden on your vehicle. The dog already locked me out twice, luckily it was at home so another key got me in. Even if the key can't run the vehicle, being able to open the door to get to your working key comes in handy.

As I already had 2 keys, programming 2 more was easy

http://www.keyfobprogram.com/2013-je...y-programming/

Just incase that site disappears here is what they say
Have all keys for the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep ready – You must have two working programmed or original keys to use this procedure.
Your new keys must be cut prior to performing this procedure.
Remote portion and immobilizer are programmed during the same programming procedure.
Please note: this programming procedure WILL NOT WORK if your vehicle has PUSH BUTTON ignition.
1. Insert first programmed key into the ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait for approximately 3 seconds then turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
2. Within 15 seconds of removing first key insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds. You will see the immobilizer warning lamp illuminate on the dash and you will hear an audible tone.Turn ignition OFF and remove the key.
3. Within 50 seconds insert the new unprogrammed key into ignition. Turn ignition switch to ON. After approximately 10 secondsyou should hear an audible tone and the immobilizer lamp will remain illuminated for 3 seconds. Once this occurs programming iscompleted.
4. For each additional key you must repeat these steps starting with step number 1.

As years went by, Chrysler was again helpful by removing this feature. I know this does not work on my 2017 dodge caravan.

Don

Reactions: Mrriverajr
I just purchased 2 key fobs from Amazon but only have one Factory key, will i still be able to program it ?

I just made 2 more keys for my 2013.
$10 for 2 keys, 2 bucks to get both keys cut at a local plumbing store. The plumbing store could have programmed the keys for an additional fee, but I didn't need that service.

It is good to have a key hidden on your vehicle. The dog already locked me out twice, luckily it was at home so another key got me in. Even if the key can't run the vehicle, being able to open the door to get to your working key comes in handy.

As I already had 2 keys, programming 2 more was easy

http://www.keyfobprogram.com/2013-je...y-programming/

Just incase that site disappears here is what they say
Have all keys for the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep ready – You must have two working programmed or original keys to use this procedure.
Your new keys must be cut prior to performing this procedure.
Remote portion and immobilizer are programmed during the same programming procedure.
Please note: this programming procedure WILL NOT WORK if your vehicle has PUSH BUTTON ignition.
1. Insert first programmed key into the ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait for approximately 3 seconds then turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
2. Within 15 seconds of removing first key insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds. You will see the immobilizer warning lamp illuminate on the dash and you will hear an audible tone.Turn ignition OFF and remove the key.
3. Within 50 seconds insert the new unprogrammed key into ignition. Turn ignition switch to ON. After approximately 10 secondsyou should hear an audible tone and the immobilizer lamp will remain illuminated for 3 seconds. Once this occurs programming iscompleted.
4. For each additional key you must repeat these steps starting with step number 1.

As years went by, Chrysler was again helpful by removing this feature. I know this does not work on my 2017 dodge caravan.

Don
Great write up!!

Check with your local home town hardware store.
If there is a good service station that understands modern automotive systems, they might have the equipment.
If they can't program, try to find a locksmith.
If all else fails you need to visit the more expensive jeep dealer.

Even if you cannot get a key programmed, have the keys cut. It is very easy to get locked out of a JK with the keys inside the JK.

Check with your local home town hardware store.
If there is a good service station that understands modern automotive systems, they might have the equipment.
If they can't program, try to find a locksmith.
If all else fails you need to visit the more expensive jeep dealer.

Even if you cannot get a key programmed, have the keys cut. It is very easy to get locked out of a JK with the keys inside the JK.
Thanks! Had not considered how easily I could get locked out. Ordered spares today.

I just bought my JK. Not only did they only give me one key, but the key they gave me doesn't even have a fob. I figured out the hard way that I can't lock my Jeep without setting off the alarm upon unlocking it. It's now my mission to get a fob made for it somehow. I'll let you guys know what I learn after I visit the stealership.

Reactions: mrjp
I'll have to look into this. Thanks!
You won't regret it. Plus this app let's you read codes, and access settings. If you have an automatic you can change the tire size to help with shift points, you can set or disable the TPMS, and much much more.
There's also a trail mode where you can monitor while riding: engine temp, rims, trans temp, etc.

I just bought my JK. Not only did they only give me one key, but the key they gave me doesn't even have a fob. I figured out the hard way that I can't lock my Jeep without setting off the alarm upon unlocking it. It's now my mission to get a fob made for it somehow. I'll let you guys know what I learn after I visit the stealership.
Did you figure this out?
I just recently ran into the same problem -- a Rescue Green '08, no less, as luck would have it. lol

I only have one key also. I am unclear if I am able to program a spare having only one factory key fob

I am also interested in the reply. I am in the same situation. I purchased a new-to-me, 2015 JKUR and it only came with 1 key.

I had one transponder key that I bought for $10 on Amazon and it wouldn't work because I only had 1 programmed key. However, most hardware stores will cut it for you for free.

After my failed attempt, I took it to a locksmith and it only took 5 min and $40 to program it (hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer).

Some say it will work with one, so might as well try and see if it works. Mine is an 07JKU, and it did not.

Thanks for the instructions @Chris. I need to make/program a 3rd key now, while it's easy and $10!

Reactions: Chris
Reviving an old thread, but @Chris do you know if, when the key is programmed, the factory remote start functionality programs into the key?

@72c10 were you able to personally program a third key since you had two functioning? Some literature out there reads as if you need to have 2 FOB's once you hit 2010+ model years. But your experience would certainly indicate two (not one) FOB's were still required in 07. So I'm curious about my 08 when I go to do it here in the next week or two.

The 'flip key' that I bought and programmed w/ Jscan works well, and the remote start function works sometimes.
There is a 3rd (unmarked) button on the keys that i bought.
In order to engage the remote start, I have to press all 3 buttons (lock, unlock, & unmarked) all at the same time.
I just used it a few hours ago.
Horn beeped twice, and then it started right up.

Reviving an old thread, but @Chris do you know if, when the key is programmed, the factory remote start functionality programs into the key?

@72c10 were you able to personally program a third key since you had two functioning? Some literature out there reads as if you need to have 2 FOB's once you hit 2010+ model years. But your experience would certainly indicate two (not one) FOB's were still required in 07. So I'm curious about my 08 when I go to do it here in the next week or two.
Sorry, I thought I replied a while back. I haven't tried it yet. For $10 (like my last key that still works), I should order one and try it. I'll let you know when it happens.

Sorry, I thought I replied a while back. I haven't tried it yet. For $10 (like my last key that still works), I should order one and try it. I'll let you know when it happens.
I suppose I should have come back and updated also. I bought these, had Ace Hardware cut it, and then used JScan. All factory functionality remains, though the remote start button on the new key is just double click the remote start. I think on the old key I have to lock then double click remote start. FWIW, I did have to use JScan twice. Not sure why the first time didn't take, but the second time did.

I suppose I should have come back and updated also. I bought these, had Ace Hardware cut it, and then used JScan. All factory functionality remains, though the remote start button on the new key is just double click the remote start. I think on the old key I have to lock then double click remote start. FWIW, I did have to use JScan twice. Not sure why the first time didn't take, but the second time did.

[/URL]
Funny. The locksmith I had program my key had to do it twice also.