How to install a smart mirror in your JK Wrangler

Just installed the Wolfbox last night. Must say, smoother than expected. I ordered the refurbished unit which did not come with the hardwired kit but I will be ordering that separately.
None of them come with the hardwire kit, although it seems to me they should.
Mounted the rear camera on the relocated license plate (swing arm, center tire). Came out with a spare 1/2" of cable for the camera wire;)

Its quite a difference what I can see out the back window now. 37s don't leave much open window space.
@Dirty Dog thanks for the write up. Helped the decision and install.
You're welcome. Happy to have been of service.

Reactions: mrjp
I've been thinking about getting one of these. One of the things I'm having to get used to with this Jeep I just bought is the limited views to the rear. My other vehicle is an F150 with huge side mirrors and that big back window. So I've got great situational awareness when out among the idiots on the roads.

In the Jeep I can see to the rear ok for now because the soft top is brand new so the rear window is still clear and there is no spare tire. But, I'm adding a spare (35") so that's going to block the view. Previous owner put in a double din head unit and a backup camera so the wiring is there. I'd just need to see about moving it from the HU to the mirror.

Some questions:
1. Now that you've had this for 6 months, how has it worked out for you?
2. How does it handle rough rides? Does it rattle around on the mirror or come loose?
3. Can you configure what's displayed on the screen? Specifically, can you ixnay anything other than the video?
4. Can I assume that if you don't want GPS you just don't have to connect the antenna?

Thanks.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
1. Now that you've had this for 6 months, how has it worked out for you?
I'm very happy with it. As I said in the install post, it does take a bit of adjustment insofar as judging distance. Because the wide angle lens makes things look further away. But that's not difficult. We all had to learn to do this once already, so it's just adapting. This is somewhat offset by your ability to change the aim of the camera. When I am backing, I just drag my finger down the middle of the mirror and get a lovely view of the spare tire and rear bumper. You can easily tell exactly how far you are from that other guys bumper. Or the edge of the cliff.
2. How does it handle rough rides? Does it rattle around on the mirror or come loose?
It's quite secure. We spent 6-7 hours bouncing around Moab rocks yesterday and it never twitched.
3. Can you configure what's displayed on the screen? Specifically, can you ixnay anything other than the video?
I have not tried, so it's not something I've investigated. I will say that the extra info is unobtrusive enough that I don't even notice it unless I'm actively looking for it.
4. Can I assume that if you don't want GPS you just don't have to connect the antenna?
That is correct.

Reactions: FLGeezer
Addendum:
Turns out the Smart Mirror is susceptible to RFI from high power GMRS radios. My Midland MXT400, which has a 6db antenna mounted on the drivers side front fender causes the mirror to go blank when transmitting at 40W. Everything functions normally when you release the talk button.

It is possible that mounting the antenna further away from the screen (maybe a tailgate mount?) would eliminate the issue. It is also possible that using a 3db antenna (such as the Ghost antenna many people use) would resolve the interference.

I've done a bit of research and do not find this issue discussed anywhere. If anyone has a similar setup, but with a tailgate mount or 3db antenna, please chime in.

Addendum:
Turns out the Smart Mirror is susceptible to RFI from high power GMRS radios. My Midland MXT400, which has a 6db antenna mounted on the drivers side front fender causes the mirror to go blank when transmitting at 40W. Everything functions normally when you release the talk button.

It is possible that mounting the antenna further away from the screen (maybe a tailgate mount?) would eliminate the issue. It is also possible that using a 3db antenna (such as the Ghost antenna many people use) would resolve the interference.

I've done a bit of research and do not find this issue discussed anywhere. If anyone has a similar setup, but with a tailgate mount or 3db antenna, please chime in.
You could try installing an rfi choke on the mirror power lead

I have the 3db antenna but my radio is the 275 which is only 15 watts. Plus my antenna is mounted at the rear of Jeep. I have not had any issues so far.

In the Jeep I can see to the rear ok for now because the soft top is brand new so the rear window is still clear and there is no spare tire. But, I'm adding a spare (35") so that's going to block the view.
So, I got new tires yesterday and mounted the spare on the Smittybilt tire carrier and it actually doesn't block my view to the rear as much as I was afraid it would. I can see over it fine. I had already bought the Wolfbox mirror but hadn't unboxed it so I'm going to return it.

Hey there. Great write up. So i got this system and have yet to hook it up because my wheel spokes dont line up straight to put the camera through evenly, and I have this wide 35 tire on the back which i feel if i mount on top of 3rd brake light it will see too much tire. Plus the fact the sticky part of the rear camera mount cant be put on top of the 3rd brake light because i will end up with a reverse image. Any suggestions?

20230726_152741.jpg

20230726_152712.jpg

The camera can be put on top. Within the mirror settings there are options to flip, mirror, etc. I had to work on them on my wife’s JK till you I had them correct. I made sure before I mounted it.

The camera can be put on top. Within the mirror settings there are options to flip, mirror, etc. I had to work on them on my wife’s JK till you I had them correct. I made sure before I mounted it.
ok. I guess i will deal with whatever amount of tire shows. Im also gonna install an echomaster reverse cam into the hitch hole to my stinger radio so i have an additional angle for reversing.

As @Danarch said, you can flip the image in the setup. From your pictures, you could mount it on the disk behind your wheel. It wouldn't be perfectly centered, but it would still function just fine.

Personally, I'd probably mount it on the third brake light, but I'd do a test first. Slam the tailgate. If the third brake light vibrates, your image quality mounted there will be garbage. If it ends up mounted there, you can adjust the angle of the image by swiping up and down on the mirror. My camera is mounted above the liftgate. When backing, I often swipe down. Makes judging distances really easy.

Another alternative would be mounting it on your rear bumper, under the tire. The hitch and tire would protect it if you do any trails.

As @Danarch said, you can flip the image in the setup. From your pictures, you could mount it on the disk behind your wheel. It wouldn't be perfectly centered, but it would still function just fine.

Personally, I'd probably mount it on the third brake light, but I'd do a test first. Slam the tailgate. If the third brake light vibrates, your image quality mounted there will be garbage. If it ends up mounted there, you can adjust the angle of the image by swiping up and down on the mirror. My camera is mounted above the liftgate. When backing, I often swipe down. Makes judging distances really easy.

Another alternative would be mounting it on your rear bumper, under the tire. The hitch and tire would protect it if you do any trails.
Ah cool. Great ideas. Thank you 😊

Yup, my wife’s is mounted to the bumper and works fine. Mine is mounted to the third brake light and works well.

So i pretty much finished this install. I wasted way too much time trying to fish the wire bundle through that small firewall hole mainly because those two fuses kept getting stuck in there, no matter how i tried to tape them together or pull seperate. So i finally just cut those bastards off and reattached them when i got everything to the other side. I wired the fuses into the tpim as suggested. So far so good.

I love the quality of this smart mirror. Lots of features too. I wish the echo master cams i just installed (front, back, blindspots) were this quality.

So i pretty much finished this install. I wasted way too much time trying to fish the wire bundle through that small firewall hole mainly because those two fuses kept getting stuck in there, no matter how i tried to tape them together or pull seperate. So i finally just cut those bastards off and reattached them when i got everything to the other side. I wired the fuses into the tpim as suggested. So far so good.

I love the quality of this smart mirror. Lots of features too. I wish the echo master cams i just installed (front, back, blindspots) were this quality.
Don’t feel bad, I did the same thing wasting time trying to fish through the black piece. Finally cut it, fished it through and connected back up again.

Don’t feel bad, I did the same thing wasting time trying to fish through the black piece. Finally cut it, fished it through and connected back up again.
Gotcha. Hey you know whats funny? Even though the cam has a "reverse/flip image" feature, .. it only does it for the screen because the recordings are unflipped. lol