How often do you rotate your tires and do you use all 5 tires in the rotation?

Packerjohn

I bought a 2017 JKU Willys, out first Wrangler, and it will be delivered this week. When I went to look at it I had to wait a bit as they were in the process of putting 5 new BF Goodrich OEM tires on it. The sales manager explained since it was a Chrysler Certified Vehicle the tires had to have a certain tread depth. He said the original tires (the Jeep has 39k miles) should have been rotated every 3k mile to extend life, based on the larger then typical size of the tire. I didn't think about it that minute but I noticed when I had looked at the Carfax earlier the oil had been changed and tires rotate religiously every 5k miles.

So the question. How often do you rotate your tires and do you use all 5 tires in the rotation or keep the spare new?

I have 35" mud terrain tires and, personally, I rotate 4 when I change the oil, leaving the spare. I think 3k miles is a bit much to rotate, but it really depends on the tire. I've just gotten into the habit of 5k oil changes and tire rotations.

Reactions: Packerjohn and mrjp
Most tire Manufacturers usually recommend around 5,000 miles on rotation.

Did they charge you for the tires they put on, and were they replaced after the deal was made to buy the Jeep? Sounds to me they were just trying to make some extra money that you shouldn't have to pay.

Personally, I try to rotate all 5 of mine whenever I get an oil change (every 3k-3.5k miles). Might be a little overkill at times, but rotating them has never hurt me, and keeping all 5 in rotation makes me feel better about using the spare should I ever need it.

A little overkill on the oil change interval also, you can go more miles then that on the oil. Oil doesn't break down or go bad, just gets dirty and changing the filter about halfway will help to keep it clean. I go 15,000 miles on my Diesels oil just change the filter about every 5,000 miles, had a oil sample done at a lab and they said oil was still good at 12,000 miles.

I rotate all 5 at 5k oil change, too. Simplifies my life.

I will say the 3.6 filter makes easy if you want to go longer between oil changes and just change the filter more frequently.

I rotate all 5 every 5K with the oil change. Living in Minnesota with the drastic temperature fluctuations, high idle time in winter, that is about the max I would go.

I do a oil change every 10k (using full synthetic). Of course Mobil One claims you can go 20k on their extended, but I do every 10. I may switch to Full synthetic made from natural gas. I have read that it out performs FS made from crude, but I will probably still change every 10k.

I rotate every 5k, but the shop who I got my tires from does it for me. I will let them do it and save my back from lifting 100lbs of tires that often. ;)

Reactions: mrjp
I do a oil change every 10k (using full synthetic). Of course Mobil One claims you can go 20k on their extended, but I do every 10. I may switch to Full synthetic made from natural gas. I have read that it out performs FS made from crude, but I will probably still change every 10k.

I rotate every 5k, but the shop who I got my tires from does it for me. I will let them do it and save my back from lifting 100lbs of tires that often. ;)
I have a 19 yo firefighter trainee and a 21 yo auto tech sons that help me lift heavy things like tires. I carried them one way or another most their life and now it’s their turn.

Most tire Manufacturers usually recommend around 5,000 miles on rotation.

Did they charge you for the tires they put on, and were they replaced after the deal was made to buy the Jeep? Sounds to me they were just trying to make some extra money that you shouldn't have to pay.
Thanks all for the rotation recommendations.

Regarding charging for the tires I assume they built it into the advertised price on the Internet along with anything else they had to do to get the factory certification. When we sat down to negotiate a purchase price we started from the advertised price, with no later add-on for the tires.
I did my research and think I did pretty well pricewise. I did a nationwide search on Autotrader and the advertised price for this Jeep was in the lower 25% of all 2017 JKUs in the US, even though it was a mid-level model with low miles and certified.

I did my research and think I did pretty well pricewise. I did a nationwide search on Autotrader and the advertised price for this Jeep was in the lower 25% of all 2017 JKUs in the US, even though it was a mid-level model with low miles and certified.
I was so happy when i bought my Recon and then checked prices recently to find that they are going for a ton more than I paid for it.😎 Its a good feeling when you realize you didn't get screwed. :ROFLMAO:

I have a 19 yo firefighter trainee and a 21 yo auto tech sons that help me lift heavy things like tires. I carried them one way or another most their life and now it’s their turn.
Better than a gym membership. I have one son that is a working manager for the inside business of a wheel specialty company. They do powder coating and other work for a bunch of dealerships. He'll send pictures occasionally of a day when the have a new Bentley, Ferrari and Range Rover waiting to be worked on. He gets to move some wheels around.

I was so happy when i bought my Recon and then checked prices recently to find that they are going for a ton more than I paid for it.😎 Its a good feeling when you realize you didn't get screwed. :ROFLMAO:
Isn't that great. I looked a a Willys locally. It had 7k more miles (46k total), tires weren't bad but definitely original, no hitch and no Certified vehicle warranty. Best they would to was $1k more than I paid for mine. They had the nerve to tell me their body shop would only charge me $370 for a weird paint chip up by the driver's outside mirror (almost looked like something go bumped when they took the door off).

The one I go doesn't have a mark on it.