How far down do you run your tires?

TahoeJim

How far down do you run your tires before replacing them?

I have ~40% tread thickness left on my Procomp Extreme MT2s. The siping is almost totally gone. Are they done? Or would you still run them?

Photos of tire in use and spare which I don’t think was ever rotated in.

A8EDEA2E-DB0E-44B9-8086-36E260BA82FE.jpeg

E9220793-F961-4B72-A090-DB2A2EF781B8.jpeg

😂😂 Those are just getting broken in.
*I seriously don’t recommend going nearly as long as I did with my old ones. They also had uneven wear due to them not being balanced correctly.

4E984CFE-0686-41BF-BF9B-56777C600FF8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Wow you guys run longer than I was thinking. :)
I couldn’t even get up the street to my house because of the ice, so I
swapped them out for Nokian LT3 winter tires and thinking I just replace with new MT2s this spring.

I lived in south lake for 5 years back in 82 and was so poor I always were running around with bad tires. I just did a lot of sliding around

Well yeah.... Big lugs with zero sipping left and the wrong rubber compound... I had to throw into 4wd just to make it up the street to my house!

Reactions: mrjp
1614796123233.png

See the little cuts in the tread I highlighted? When those disappear the tire is about done.
See the little molded ridge between the treads I highlighted? When those wear off the tire is about done.

And that comes from your tire manufacturer.

Reactions: TahoeJim and mrjp
Start incorporating the spare in your tire rotation. Obviously you can't with that one, but if you get that exact tire again then do it. If you don't get that exact tire, then get 5 so you can.

This isn't a typical vehicle. That heavy spare you drag all over the place should be a working member of the team. If not, then when you need to use it you put stress on the drive system.

Plus, who wants a shiny new tire on the back of their jeep?

Reactions: mrjp
Y I bought my rig last summer, so don’t know why spare rotation wasn’t done. What is your schedule and pattern for rotation?
my plan is to get the same tire and switch between winter and summer tires. Also, I didn’t buy a fifth winter tire.. was that a mistake?

Y I bought my rig last summer, so don’t know why spare rotation wasn’t done. What is your schedule and pattern for rotation?
my plan is to get the same tire and switch between winter and summer tires. Also, I didn’t buy a fifth winter tire.. was that a mistake?
I just run the same tires all year around as the size I'm using don't come in winter variant and they do fine. Plus i have no desire to have a set of tires sitting around my property, and I'm not going to pay somebody to store them.

5th wheel usage is your call. My post was entirely my opinion. There are a number of jeepers that delete the spare. To me it is there for emergencies. I would hate to be without one if I needed it.

If the winter tires and the summer are the same size then it's kinda whatever. If they are different sizes then don't go fast, or drive far, that is not good for the drive train. Plus you would have to adjust the speedometer each season, especially if you have an automatic.

I’m going to run winters and summers. Having a set sit around sucks but the procomps were downright scary on snow and ice. I did buy them the same size so I guess I can use my summer spare during the winter in a pinch