How does the Jeep know to turn the dome light on?

JKTimmah

Supporting Member
How exactly does the jeep know to turn on the dome light when the door(s) are opened? I'm used to seeing a button/switch, but don't see a thing now. Am I overlooking something?

Tim

The switch is built into the latch, which is the same for the tailgate.

Turn the inner knob on headlight switch all the way back, it turns off dome lights off entirely.

Reactions: vaffanculo

Turn the inner knob on headlight switch all the way back, it turns off dome lights off entirely.

Yeah, I know how to work them. I just didn't know where it was getting the signal that the doors were open.

My JK is pretty plain, having just a dome light. I plan on adding footwell and cargo lights and I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire it up.

Thanks!
Tim

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I know how to work them. I just didn't know where it was getting the signal that the doors were open.

My JK is pretty plain, having just a dome light. I plan on adding footwell and cargo lights and I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire it up.

Thanks!
Tim

Oh yeah, you might have to look for wiring diagrams to figure that one out, but I get what you're saying (y)

No lights on the freedom top!

It took me a while to get used to the JK not having traditional door switches for the dome lights like my old TJ did.

Reactions: Zaythedad

Hey Chris, follow-up question. If I turn the dome lights off entirely, as you’ve described, does that eliminate any/all power draws if I take my doors off?

This was always a PITA on my 87 Wrangler. I tried taking the door off a few times, but could never rig up anything to efficiently hold the pin switches in while driving. I tried pulling the fuse but it was tied in my the aftermarket car alarm system I had installed, right after I bought it new.

Hey Chris, follow-up question. If I turn the dome lights off entirely, as you’ve described, does that eliminate any/all power draws if I take my doors off?

This was always a PITA on my 87 Wrangler. I tried taking the door off a few times, but could never rig up anything to efficiently hold the pin switches in while driving. I tried pulling the fuse but it was tied in my the aftermarket car alarm system I had installed, right after I bought it new.

Yes, you shouldn't have any power draws whatsoever if you take your doors off in that case.

On my TJ I just pulled the number 4 fuse which disabled the dome light entirely. That did the trick and I never minded it. Still, the JK solution is much better than what we used to have to do on our older Wranglers :LOL:

How did the install go? I have a 2008 which I plan to add footwell lighting to. Which wire did you use from the door harness to tap in to the dome feed? Thanks.

How exactly does the jeep know to turn on the dome light when the door(s) are opened? I'm used to seeing a button/switch, but don't see a thing now. Am I overlooking something?

Tim
You are overthinking not overlooking.
Sensors my friend, works with instrumentation. I could not explain it in a simple term though.

I think the question is: What wire in the door harness controls power to the dome light? The yellow wire, the yellow-white wire, the orange wire, etc.? Because once we know the color, we can tap into it and run wire for footwell lights. So, anyone know the right color wire? Thanks.

When I wired in my cargo light and used my rear dome wiring I just used a test light to see which one came on and stayed until the dome went out.

I will have to double check, but I'm 90% sure it was the yellow w/ white stripe. Driver side, I tapped into the same wire at the instrument panel. Passenger side, I hit the harness at floor level. They work great! Green LEDs for floor and one in dome!

Tim

It's the yellow with a white strip in the big bundle in the right corner under the dash. But for some reason it doesn't show up yellow in my picture, it's the one with the red connector on it.

001.JPG