Herculiner on faded fender flares?

WestSideKen

My 2011 has basically gray fenders from sun and improper care. I want to do something different. Anyone ever use Herculiner or any truck bed paints/coatings?
I do have a spare set of flares- just in case ;).

20230608_190521[8303].jpg

Last edited:
I've seen it done to the rock crawler metal flares and fenders never seen it done to the plastic ones either maybe try putting it on something else and putting it up to it cuz once you start painting those flares there's no turning back if you don't have

Rustoleom textured black spray paint is amazing. I used it on my hinges, but says it's good for plastics.

Doesn't last. I heard about that trick and tried a heat gun on some black plastic on my F150. Got too close in a couple of spots and melted it. :oops: Looked good for a while but faded again later.
Yep, this actually degrades the plastic and can make it brittle. By heating it up this way you are bringing some of the oils to the surface / melting the plastic thus making it like new. However, that oil then goes away and you have less in the plastic. Best case scenario it looks better for a couple months. Worst case, the paths you heated it via, now show up as streaks of discoloration in the plastic and it looks horrible.

Part of the thing that Mothers and other brands do is put some of the oil back in for a short time. They can't however fix the plastic on a molecular level, so they fade pretty quick too.

Back to black and other similar products are nothing more than a jazzed up and thinned out petroleum jelly.
Using a bedliner type product on a plastic fender flare would be the flex in the plastic. The first time it bends a little, the liner material will crack.

I use Back to Black, both in the bottle and the aerosol version for my rear bumper, rear light housings, gas cap, rear view mirrors, etc. It also works really well on the shutters on your house, if you have the plastic ones.

I just live with it. No intention of dying my hair (whats left) or getting surgery to look new again either, like those Hollywood types.

Reactions: BigAL07
I often suggest that the best solution to faded cheap flimsy plastic flares is to throw them in the trash and replace them with metal flares, but I've never seen anyone suggest setting fire to the Jeep before! :)
Metal flares in the NE or salted states is a no go. UNLESS you use a gasket in between the body and flare. Ive seen it happen. Paint and a garage may help mitigate it, but it eventually shows its ugly head.

Metal flares in the NE or salted states is a no go. UNLESS you use a gasket in between the body and flare. Ive seen it happen. Paint and a garage may help mitigate it, but it eventually shows its ugly head.
Powder coated metal flares are less prone to rust than the painted body.

Reactions: Largehit71
I use back to black once a week and it works very well although my fenders are not faded that bad yet ( which is amazing under the hot Florida sun). I looked at metal flares, but I don't think they would look good with my stock rubi bumper unless I buy a stubby bumper. I don't want to change the bumper so my choices seem limited to the bushwacker type flare. For right now I'm happy with my stock fenders. If they get too faded I'll try textured paint first. I'm curious as to how it will look and hold up lol

Reactions: BigAL07
I used Meguiar's Ultimate black 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen how it's holding up because she's been in the shop for 8 days . Inner axle seal and diff leak. :mad:

The best I've found was CERAKOTE. Worked great on the trim for my F150 years ago. Wanted to do my recently purchased Jeep but for the life of me couldn't remember the name of what I used on the truck so I bought some Chemical Guys HyperCoat. Looks good so far but I've only had it on for a few weeks.

Chemical Guys HyperCoat

CERAKOTE

Mine looked just like yours. I have a 2009 JK Rubi. I used Meguires Ultimate Black about a month ago. They still look great. I was amazed at the difference. It made my fenders look virtually new!
IMG_0320.png

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

Reactions: JeepJeezy