Hello all

CodyP

Hey guys. After always wanted a wrangler I FINALLY picked one up. With our growing family of 4 and 1 due in September my crazy wife actually let me bid on one at a local auction. It’s got a few things and has seen better days so it’s not perfect but it will still be fun in the summer with the sores and top off. I need to figure out an oil leak and the steering seems to wander on the road so I’ll have to take a look at that too. Definitely looks better from 10ft away haha!
09536268-71C9-4CDA-9194-84A163B73681.jpeg

Reactions: OldJeeps and mrjp
Looks nice. What year? Manual or Automatic? Looks like it is lifted, does it have the stock lower and upper control arms or does it have adjustable contrlol arms? Do you know what size of lift or manufacture?

Looks nice. What year? Manual or Automatic? Looks like it is lifted, does it have the stock lower and upper control arms or does it have adjustable contrlol arms? Do you know what size of lift or manufacture?
2008, auto. Yep it’s lifted with skyjacker control arms and rancho shocks, 35x12,50s. I’m not sure on the lift height but found a stock height for the springs and shocks but my findings put me at a 5” lift which I don’t think is right.
7270A873-DE6C-4927-85E2-21123C12AF4C.jpeg

So if the lift is 5” (over the 3”) the steering could be wandering if the stock control arms are being used. With that much lift adjustable control arms need to be provided to help with caster. Could also have some warn parts on the tie-rods etc. With that much lift I am not sure if any changes are required to the steering box / pitman arm. The steering box may need to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLACKJKU
So if the lift is 5” (over the 3”) the steering could be wandering if the stock control arms are being used. With that much lift adjustable control arms need to be provided to help with caster. Could also have some warn parts on the tie-rods etc. With that much lift I am not sure if any changes are required to the steering box / pitman arm. The steering box may need to be adjusted.
awesome. I took a peak and don't see anything abnormally loose but it's going to for an alignment check next week so I'll see what they find.

Here is an example of adjustable control arms, they have a nut / threads on them. This is to adjust the caster angle by moving the placement of the axle. If you look under the Jeep and these are solid pieces of steel, roughly square shaped good chance its your problem. An alignment for a JK can’t change the caster angle, it needs to be done with adjustable control arms. Alignment is still a good idea, but it might be worth checking for the adjustable CA’s before taking it in. You could always take a picture and post it for others opinions.

4325EE3A-3AF7-4A9F-B546-0C921D0C8452.jpeg

Here is an example of adjustable control arms, they have a nut / threads on them. This is to adjust the caster angle by moving the placement of the axle. If you look under the Jeep and these are solid pieces of steel, roughly square shaped good chance its your problem. An alignment for a JK can’t change the caster angle, it needs to be done with adjustable control arms. Alignment is still a good idea, but it might be worth checking for the adjustable CA’s before taking it in. You could always take a picture and post it for others opinions.

View attachment 120814
So looks like the control arms I have aren’t adjustable.

AE69356C-B290-4C5B-9455-0B5266F56AE0.jpeg
F8F0BD63-C28A-43AA-BC1C-700E06F469FB.jpeg

73833F41-4022-4249-B390-BF97CAEAC0C2.jpeg

They don’t look adjustable, but they are not stock either. What I don’t know is if some lift Manufacturers provide CA’s that are supposed to be fixed length but at the right length to solve the caster angle. I think I’ve only seen adjustable ones.