Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
Does anyone have experience with this particular brand/model?
MORryde heavy duty tailgate hinges.
They're $142 or so on Amazon, $156 through most of the Jeep gear sites.
I like that they have a grease fitting and will take about 10 minutes to install.

Capture 2.PNG
Capture.PNG

It says "greaseable" pin assembly but what for? It's already stainless steel pins with bronze bushings.
In addition, the shiny bolt pins goes thru and with that alone it's like a Home Depot hardware so overall it looks "cheap".
Sorry, that is just my own opinion.

Last edited:
I have those, I don't remember paying that much for them, but I may have. I got them because my OE hinges were failing pretty bad. These things went right on, and while it should have been ten mins, it took much longer because I had rust behind the originals and I cleaned that up and re-painted.

The the grease points are to make them easier to move under load. I only have a 33 on the back and my grease gun failed around the same time so I've never gotten around to doing that part, but they feel much stronger than OE, zero wiggle. It just feels better opening the gate. I've been very happy with them.

I understand Mike's point of them looking cheep in pictures, but the ones I have are pretty heavy duty. You could always put a bit of black paint on the bolt head like I thought I would. But I never did because it ended up not bothering me at all.

It depends on what you are looking to do. I think they are great replacements for factory which are weaker and probably pretty close in price.

Do these replacement hinges stop the tailgate from opening too far? The bar inside the tailgate on my 2013 snapped. That prevents the tailgate from opening too much and having the wire harness be the “stop”.

Any other good fixes for that part being broken? Thanks

Do these replacement hinges stop the tailgate from opening too far? The bar inside the tailgate on my 2013 snapped. That prevents the tailgate from opening too much and having the wire harness be the “stop”.

Any other good fixes for that part being broken? Thanks
So, the MOPAR tailgate check bar with attachment point is expensive:
1662734922842.png

This one acts as both a stabilizer and a stop "assist":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2MJDTG/?tag=jkforum-20

Or:

1662735518086.png

So, the MOPAR tailgate check bar with attachment point is expensive:
View attachment 122181

This one acts as both a stabilizer and a stop "assist":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2MJDTG/?tag=jkforum-20

Or:

View attachment 122182
Good advice. Thanks. The checks above have bad reviews and from my experience (of the 9 year old check) they are poorly made with the plastic inside. I will try the Amazon stop “assist” and or a door strap mod. Much appreciated

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Good advice. Thanks. The checks above have bad reviews and from my experience (of the 9 year old check) they are poorly made with the plastic inside. I will try the Amazon stop “assist” and or a door strap mod. Much appreciated
I've seen a couple paracord braided stop replacements elsewhere, but can't remember. Maybe Extreme Terrain or 4WD, not sure.

And the stock arms are garbage. My tailgate is fairly heavy with 100lb of 35" tire and wheel, and my wife let it go one day on a slight incline. It jacked my spare carrier hinges to the point the tailgate was very difficult to close. A buddy and I spent a few hours taking the spare carrier apart in hopes of getting the hinge pins out and reworking the entire affair.

I started another thread on just this escapade. Needless to say, it was a pain, but we got it working, but not without some serious cursing and head scratching.

Reactions: Jpartridge1992
I got the replacement tailgate hinges and really like them. Very sturdy, easy install (if you have the right tools) and a very good replacement for 9+ year old stock hinges. Highly recommend if anyone needs replacement hinges.

Reactions: mrjp
I've seen a couple paracord braided stop replacements elsewhere, but can't remember. Maybe Extreme Terrain or 4WD, not sure.

And the stock arms are garbage. My tailgate is fairly heavy with 100lb of 35" tire and wheel, and my wife let it go one day on a slight incline. It jacked my spare carrier hinges to the point the tailgate was very difficult to close. A buddy and I spent a few hours taking the spare carrier apart in hopes of getting the hinge pins out and reworking the entire affair.

I started another thread on just this escapade. Needless to say, it was a pain, but we got it working, but not without some serious cursing and head scratching.
Here is the replacement paracord tailgate check that I just bought. Very nice seller and better than factory tailgate check. Like I said I just got it so long term will be the key. However no cheap plastic part to break like in OEM check.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952392275...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.