Heater intermediately works

Mprezioso

It gets hot sometimes on both sides, sometimes only one side sometimes not at all?

When it does get hot it seems like the right temp, then usually it goes cold after a bit.

What year is your Jeep?
Two things that come to mind, either you need a heater core flush or you have air in the system. Both are pretty easy fixes. Bit more info from you though. Did you just buy this recently? if not Did the heater work last year? The more info we get here the better we can help. (y)

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Have you switched to the different vent settings to make sure it's not an actuator problem?

This is one of the reasons we need to know what year, and just generally more info. Early JKs have wire driven vents, and the later ones are electronically controlled. The later ones can get out of sync, but it's a simple fix again.

Different engines = different problems.

Thanks for your responses!
-2009 with 128K, its new to me since Feb, I think it worked last year but not sure
- Tried all the setting and it doesn't make a difference; It will run cold with a hot engine then suddenly get hot without any setting changes, then back to cold again, the left side gets cold first then the right a bit after

Have you made any repairs to the coolant side of it, as to if maybe a air lock, mixed antifreeze?

Mine is a 2009 as well and I had similar issues when I got it. My guess is still that you need a heater core flush, pretty easy, though it was a bit of a pain to get the air out of the system after. You could try and bleed the system first to see if it is an air pocket. Google that for the 3.8.

Online vids make is sound complicated, but really all you need to do is find the two heater core hoses on the passenger side of the engine and disconnect them on the front side. Use a garden hose, (you will need an attachment that fits the core hoses)
Flush the core going each direction for a couple minutes. re-attach the hoses and make sure the coolant is full in the radiator and reservoir. With the radiator cap open and the appropriate coolant mix ready (I just get the universal stuff these days) start the engine and keep a bit of extra in the funnel. As soon as hot air starts blowing in the cab you are done. Shut the engine down, double check the fluid levels and take it for a spin. Check the radiator when the engine cools down to make sure its good.

If the engine temp shows warm and you are not getting any heat, there is air in the system. Shut down, check levels and close the radiator cap. Restart engine and give it a minute. For some reason that was the only way I was able to get mine to push coolant into the core.

Good luck, and be careful you are using the right coolant. Used vehicle like that, I would definitely say use the universal stuff. A bad mix can plug an engine.