Heater/Coolant issues

aflack23

All,

I just bought a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4d. It only had 58k on it when I bought it. The previous owners had put a new radiator in it about 10k miles ago. The first thing I noticed was a sloshing sound coming from the dash area. When I got home that day I heard the noise I could smell coolant. The next day it was colder out and I let the Jeep run for 10-15 minutes before leaving the house. When I left the air from the heater was still cool and remained that way for about 10 more minutes. When I got to the gas station the fan was running like it was hot. The temp gauge read normal however. Once I left the gas station the heater started blowing warmer air for a bit then went back cool. It did this same exact thing this morning as I described. Coolant was just a tad low in the reservoir and I topped it off. Please help and thanks in advance !!!

All,

I just bought a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4d. It only had 58k on it when I bought it. The previous owners had put a new radiator in it about 10k miles ago. The first thing I noticed was a sloshing sound coming from the dash area. When I got home that day I heard the noise I could smell coolant. The next day it was colder out and I let the Jeep run for 10-15 minutes before leaving the house. When I left the air from the heater was still cool and remained that way for about 10 more minutes. When I got to the gas station the fan was running like it was hot. The temp gauge read normal however. Once I left the gas station the heater started blowing warmer air for a bit then went back cool. It did this same exact thing this morning as I described. Coolant was just a tad low in the reservoir and I topped it off. Please help and thanks in advance !!!

Have you pulled the carpet up to see if your heater core might be leaking?

Could possibly have a air pocket in the engine since the cooling system was opened up. Best way to bleed it is the remove the cap, jack the front up about 6" and let it idle. Then add coolant as it drops down.

Reactions: Speartip
Have you pulled the carpet up to see if your heater core might be leaking?

Could possibly have a air pocket in the engine since the cooling system was opened up. Best way to bleed it is the remove the cap, jack the front up about 6" and let it idle. Then add coolant as it drops down.
I havent pulled the carpet up. I was thinking it could just be an air pocket, but was not sure the best way to get the air out of the system. Thanks I will give that a try.

I havent pulled the carpet up. I was thinking it could just be an air pocket, but was not sure the best way to get the air out of the system. Thanks I will give that a try.
Update, today I changed the thermostat, flushed the heater core both ways and bled air out of the system. Still no heat. Fan comes on like the Jeep is hot after probably 10 minutes. Back to square one. Someone help!!

There is a fuse... J4. J2.. something like that. I would have to pull it on occasion to reset some of the doors inside. It is one of the fuses that has a plastic housing that allows you to partially remove it easy. The label is something to do with HVAC I think. Sorry, I don't have a 3.6 atm, my 14 got wrecked a couple years ago so going off memory. All the following is based off my 2014 that is no longer with us.

Pull that fuse for a few seconds with the vehicle off and the knobs in neutral states. (Fan off, heat in the middle or cold, directional in the middle).. replace the fuse, then start it up. The hvac doors always did a bit of a dance when I started the jeep, pulling the fuse resets this dance seemingly.

The problem I had was that something got stuck in the armature that controlled the directional door. When I removed the item the computer 'remembered' how it was acting until I did the reset. Basically it didn't see all the way left as all the way left. Turning it all the way left, the computer thought it was pointed up. so I only had access to part of the directional options. I could see a similar thing with the blend door. Who knows what kooky things the previous owner got up to.

Reactions: Speartip
There is a fuse... J4. J2.. something like that. I would have to pull it on occasion to reset some of the doors inside. It is one of the fuses that has a plastic housing that allows you to partially remove it easy. The label is something to do with HVAC I think. Sorry, I don't have a 3.6 atm, my 14 got wrecked a couple years ago so going off memory. All the following is based off my 2014 that is no longer with us.

Pull that fuse for a few seconds with the vehicle off and the knobs in neutral states. (Fan off, heat in the middle or cold, directional in the middle).. replace the fuse, then start it up. The hvac doors always did a bit of a dance when I started the jeep, pulling the fuse resets this dance seemingly.

The problem I had was that something got stuck in the armature that controlled the directional door. When I removed the item the computer 'remembered' how it was acting until I did the reset. Basically it didn't see all the way left as all the way left. Turning it all the way left, the computer thought it was pointed up. so I only had access to part of the directional options. I could see a similar thing with the blend door. Who knows what kooky things the previous owner got up to.
Unless this resets something other than the blend door actuator I don't think this will work for me. My blend door actuator is working as it should. I watch it operate when I went from cool to heat.

So I went home yesterday and tried jacking the front end of the jeep up and burping the system again. I was able to get some air out of the system and then topped it off. Started it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes and no change, Still blowing cold air and the fan had kicked on like it was overheating. I think I am defeated.

I would drive it around for a few miles and then try burping it again, it doesn't cost anything to do it. Maybe jack the front up a little higher.

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
Unless this resets something other than the blend door actuator I don't think this will work for me. My blend door actuator is working as it should. I watch it operate when I went from cool to heat.
I'm pretty sure this resets all doors, and it's worth a try because totally free, also my door worked fine. It just didn't move to the correct places.

With regard to burping the system ensure you are keeping the radiator full as it is running. This is not a start it up and wander off kinda operation. You will just reintroduce air pockets. Easy mode is to use a funnel that will allow you to overfill a bit and let it run and see what happens keeping it a bit overfull.

I'm pretty sure this resets all doors, and it's worth a try because totally free, also my door worked fine. It just didn't move to the correct places.

With regard to burping the system ensure you are keeping the radiator full as it is running. This is not a start it up and wander off kinda operation. You will just reintroduce air pockets. Easy mode is to use a funnel that will allow you to overfill a bit and let it run and see what happens keeping it a bit overfull.
I couldn't find a fuse that had anything to do with the heat other than like blower motors.

Update: I jacked the front end up a little higher and went through the entire process again. Burped the system and got alot of air out. Let it cool down burped it again and got just a little bit of air. Topped it off and let it get up temp, took it down the road and within 5 minutes it was so hot I couldn't stand it!!!

Update: I jacked the front end up a little higher and went through the entire process again. Burped the system and got alot of air out. Let it cool down burped it again and got just a little bit of air. Topped it off and let it get up temp, took it down the road and within 5 minutes it was so hot I couldn't stand it!!!

I hope your saying the heat that was coming out from the heater was so Hot!

Reactions: Dirty Dog