Heated windshield washer fluid

NY-JK

I have been looking for more information on how to do this mod. I have a special artic engine plug-in in my jeep that i'm trying to work around. How to I run the lines for the new tubing?

Do you have a particular kit or something that you bought to do this? If so, what kit is it? First time I've ever heard of such a thing.

No it’s a real diy mod. You take small tubing and some adapters and run extra line to your washer fluid line. Wrap that around the radiator tubing and it heats the fluid. I’m just trying to lock in the specifics of how I get around this engine plug-in thing

7B202347-6E49-478E-8DFB-3500E47A993B.jpeg

B614E79B-DA80-40A5-BE24-2E70D22C7AE8.jpeg

Originally my Jeep was sold in Canada and I heard that all of those come with some artic kit. It's an engine block heater, you can plug it into the house for when the temp drops below a certain level.

Oh yes, that is an engine block heater for colder climates, you're right.

So now I have more questions. What is the element you plan to use for heating the washer fluid?

Older mercedes actually had a t off the heater hoses that ran to the washer bottle, attached to an aluminum coiled pipe that sat inside the washer reservoir, which resulted in always hot washer fluid. They have since gone to heated spray nozzles but it was a cool feature.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Glad I live in non-arctic Texas (and Cape MO). But I need to ask this anyways....
They already sell fluids to withstand - 40 degrees and so, why not just buy that kind of fluid?

Reactions: Chris
FWIW, engine block heaters have been around for a long time. My '77 Cherokee Chief was so equipped when I was stationed at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. All the on post military housing had outlets in front of your quarters for that purpose, sort of like a hitching post for your Jeep.

I only have owned three vehicles with heated windshield/headlight washers, an Audi and a BMW, and both were somewhat problematic, as was my 2006 Jeep Commander which had a recall for that option. Nice when they work, but one more thing to go wrong that wasn't essential. I've had -40F washer fluid freeze many times in both Alaska and Montana, which is why it is offered as an option. The factory systems used electric heating. The suggestion to wrap the washer hose around the radiator hose sounds good, but would only affect the fluid left in contact with the radiator hose, not the reservoir, so not sure how effective that is.
Great forum!

The rubber tube that goes up next to the wiper blades is exposed to the weather, and so I think it will freeze in that spot from let's say -50 bellow zero. If it does, how would that hot fluid pass through the frozen portion of the rubber tubes?

I have been looking for more information on how to do this mod. I have a special artic engine plug-in in my jeep that i'm trying to work around. How to I run the lines for the new tubing?

Arctic engine plug in ???
Do you mean a “block heater” ??

Why do you want your washer fluid to be hot ?
It doesn’t work better hot. I live in an area that reaches -45F, and I just use the winter stuff.
If you spray warm fluid on a -30 or colder windshield, the glass will break from the shock. (Not kidding)

Reactions: Barry
Arctic engine plug in ???
Do you mean a “block heater” ??

Why do you want your washer fluid to be hot ?
It doesn’t work better hot. I live in an area that reaches -45F, and I just use the winter stuff.
If you spray warm fluid on a -30 or colder windshield, the glass will break from the shock. (Not kidding)
This is why his concept will do more damage than good.

Glad I live in non-arctic Texas (and Cape MO). But I need to ask this anyways....
They already sell fluids to withstand - 40 degrees and so, why not just buy that kind of fluid?
yes, I've lived and driven in -70F.... never needed heated windshield washer fluid. Actually at anything below 0F there is no need for washer fluid, there is no road spray when everything is frozen and at a certain temperature they quit using salt since it needs heat to work.

th.jpeg

yes, I've lived and driven in -70F.... never needed heated windshield washer fluid. Actually at anything below 0F there is no need for washer fluid, there is no road spray when everything is frozen and at a certain temperature they quit using salt since it needs heat to work.

View attachment 114191

-70 after the wind chill perhaps....which is REALLY COLD !!!!
I’ve worked in the Arctic, and -55 is about as cold as you’ll see before the wind chill is calculated.
It was -82 in Saskatoon one January, but that was -47+ the windchill factor.

It takes a pretty good combination of well timed events to get an engine to start in extreme conditions like described above, and just because there is fire in the cylinders, doesn’t mean you are going anywhere....

-70 after the wind chill perhaps....which is REALLY COLD !!!!
I’ve worked in the Arctic, and -55 is about as cold as you’ll see before the wind chill is calculated.
It was -82 in Saskatoon one January, but that was -47+ the windchill factor.

It takes a pretty good combination of well timed events to get an engine to start in extreme conditions like described above, and just because there is fire in the cylinders, doesn’t mean you are going anywhere....
You guys are all crazy for even going near those temperatures. I hate anything below +60. :LOL: