Headlight replacement

RB11

I am trying to remove/replace my headlights ( 2017 JK) and found that after removing the chrome trim ring that the clear plastic lens cover seems to be glued in place. Whats the best way to remove that without damage?

What exactly are you trying to remove? The retaining ring is what holds the headlamp assembly in place. Once that is removed you should be able to pull out the assembly to get to the connector in the back. It's easier to get to everything if you remove the grill, but I don't think its required.

The chrome ring comes off ok. the 7 inch bulb has an acrylic domed shaped cover with 3 tabs holding it to the black housing. This is sealed and glued to the housing and won't release by opening the tabs. Therefore you cant get the headlight out.

It's not supposed to come apart.

This is what one removed from the vehicle looks like with the bulb out
0708212152_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
If you are just replacing the bulb you just twist it a 1/4 turn and it will come out of the housing.

I am trying to remove it to install a Halo LED headlight. The pic you show differs from mine. Mine has a black housing with fins on the back. Like the LED ones.

Yeah, pictures would be nice
Cool-hand-luke.jpg

What you describe sounds like my LED headlamps, too, with the big finned heatsink on the back.

If you're replacing the existing ones, it's not clear to me why you would open the housing.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

• Haha
Reactions: TROY66/68
I don't want to open the housing. I just want to remove the darn thing from the Jeep. I just can't see how it separates from the main support housing without breaking something.
I'm getting a headache. gotta go to bed, have an early tee time tomorrow. Will try again over the weekend. I think I can borrow a jack hammer and a torch.

• Haha
  • Face Palm
Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
Like Jerry said, the entire thing should come right out. Yes, it sounds like it already has LED Lights, but either way the entire thing should come out.

Reactions: mrjp
Please post some pictures.

I suppose it is possible that somebody glued the headlight in, but without an image of what you are describing we are a bit confused as to what exactly the problem is :unsure:.

It sounds like something is non-standard even for a jeep.

I hate to leave you all hanging in suspense about this but I am tied up this weekend and can't get back to the Jeep until Monday. I will dive into it and snap a pic or two and see what is going on. I think MacGuyver has it right- It could be a non standard part.

I didn't realize later model JKs had a factory option for LEDs. Interesting. Anyone know what year they started that option?

I found the website to get a copy of the build sheet/window sticker for my JK. It lists the LED light package as an option,
windowstickerlookup.com is the site. just need your VIN.

Mine is a 2009 Rubicon, and options were not much more advanced than a TJ at that point. I'm pretty sure mine has most of what was available at the time and a 2018 sport probably has more bells and whistles than I do, outside of the specific rubicon items.
Not a complaint, but just pointing out how much the JK changed over the years.

I have a 2017 JKU and we also tried to remove the LED headlights that are in it. But I do not know if they are factory or not. We got the ring off, but the light assembly will not come out. So we are just as confused about this as you are. If you find out, please post so I can remove mine as well. Thanks