Has anyone found a good deal on rooftop tents?

Anne Marie Lusardi

I’m looking at rooftop tents but sadly they’re mostly out of my price range. Most tents I find are $1,500+ But I’m only a college student so that’s not gonna work. Just seeing if anyone scored on a good deal for cheaper rooftop tents maybe on a resale site or just crazy sales. (If not it’s understandable. The price is justified for what you get out of it).

I just use a hammock. Connect one side to a tree* and the other to the roll cage of the jeep. I tend to pass it through an open window. Splurge a bit and you can get a hammock with a roof for those rainy nights.
I do the same thing! Can't afford a RTT right now. I have a 4 season hammock. Has rain fly roof, bug net, 0° and 50° sleeping bags, and an underquilt. I've slept in it while pouring down rain and in a 23° night.

I do the same thing! Can't afford a RTT right now. I have a 4 season hammock. Has rain fly roof, bug net, 0° and 50° sleeping bags, and an underquilt. I've slept in it while pouring down rain and in a 23° night.
Ah good to know. For the under quilt, is that instead of a sleeping pad or just extra warmth? I’ve slept in a (borrowed) covered hammock with a rain fly with a sleeping pad but it kept shifting around.

I just use a hammock. Connect one side to a tree* and the other to the roll cage of the jeep. I tend to pass it through an open window. Splurge a bit and you can get a hammock with a roof for those rainy nights.
Do you connect from the horizontal top roll bar or the side vertical ones? Just wondering how open you keep the window overnight.

I use sleeping bags for the warmer months. When it gets cold out I attach the underquilt and use a warmer sleeping. The underquilt attaches under the hammock to help keep your body heat in.

I use sleeping bags for the warmer months. When it gets cold out I attach the underquilt and use a warmer sleeping. The underquilt attaches under the hammock to help keep your body heat in.
I'm learning fun stuff about hammocks. Most of my experience is was in military exercises. a poncho and some paracord was my rainfly. I hated sleeping on the ground.

For the jeep, I've only done it a few times, I had the rear window completely open, clear nights, warm. I attached to the top crossbeam above the rear door. If rain is a concern, you could probably connect the strap between the front and rear door somehow. Just make sure it's not pulling on plastic.

Reactions: mrjp and JeepJeezy
Rooftop tents are a great way to camp, offering both comfort and convenience. However, they can also be quite expensive. If you're looking for a good deal on a rooftop tent, there are a few things you can do. First, check online retailers such as Highcountryoffroad or REI. They often have sales or discounts on camping gear, including rooftop tents. Second, consider purchasing a used tent. This can be a great way to save money, as long as you make sure to inspect the tent thoroughly before making your purchase. Finally, keep an eye out for End-of-Season sales at your local camping or outdoor stores. These sales are often a great time to snag a bargain on gear that will be perfect for next year's camping trips. With a little bit of effort, you'll be able to find a great deal on a rooftop tent that will make your next camping trip even more enjoyable.

I love REI. Wish I had one closer. Used to live a mile from the Madison one. Now it takes me 90 minutes to get to one.

Rooftop tents are a great way to camp, offering both comfort and convenience. However, they can also be quite expensive. If you're looking for a good deal on a rooftop tent, there are a few things you can do. First, check online retailers such as Highcountryoffroad or REI. They often have sales or discounts on camping gear, including rooftop tents. Second, consider purchasing a used tent. This can be a great way to save money, as long as you make sure to inspect the tent thoroughly before making your purchase. Finally, keep an eye out for End-of-Season sales at your local camping or outdoor stores. These sales are often a great time to snag a bargain on gear that will be perfect for next year's camping trips. With a little bit of effort, you'll be able to find a great deal on a rooftop tent that will make your next camping trip even more enjoyable.
Thanks! I’ll look into the two sites. So far I missed the big REI sale on Memorial Day but I’ll have to check out the other page