Has anyone bought a aftermarket hardtop?

My buddy bought a Smittybilt one and has issues with it. It looks good, but it has issues sealing around the doors and the tub. This is the issue with the TJ aftermarket hardtops as well. They always look good, but I have yet to find one aftermarket hardtop that actually fits like factory and keeps the water out 100%.

I keep reading mix review on them also. I like the safari hard top look. But I heard of factory top leaking also so I will have to figure out if I want to fight the leak on a aftermarket or buy factory hard top.

That's true, the factory hard tops on the JKs can leak. I never had any issue with mine, but some people do.

My experience is that Mopar generally uses much better manufacturing than aftermarket companies will, so that's something to think about. Also, the leaks with the factory hard tops are usually solved by simply replacing a seal.

That's true, the factory hard tops on the JKs can leak. I never had any issue with mine, but some people do.

My experience is that Mopar generally uses much better manufacturing than aftermarket companies will, so that's something to think about. Also, the leaks with the factory hard tops are usually solved by simply replacing a seal.
I recently read that the screws for the freedom panels in the sport bar are what cause the majority of leaks (at least in that area). Have you heard of this too? I'm wondering if I should leave mine out.

I recently read that the screws for the freedom panels in the sport bar are what cause the majority of leaks (at least in that area). Have you heard of this too? I'm wondering if I should leave mine out.

Interesting! I hadn't read that, but in all fairness I haven't researched the matter at all. For whatever reason or another, my freedom panels never leaked at all, and that's saying a lot since it rains like crazy here in Oregon.

Kind of interesting how some people have this issue, while others do not.

Interesting! I hadn't read that, but in all fairness I haven't researched the matter at all. For whatever reason or another, my freedom panels never leaked at all, and that's saying a lot since it rains like crazy here in Oregon.

Kind of interesting how some people have this issue, while others do not.
Mine hasn't started yet and fingers crossed it doesn't. Just trying to take preventative measures.

Mine hasn't started yet and fingers crossed it doesn't. Just trying to take preventative measures.

I hear you! To be honest, I know more people who haven't had any issues with the tops leaking than I know people who have had the issues. So I think it's not as bad as people would have you believe, but obviously you have to be prepared just incase.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
update,
so instead of buying a new factory top. I was able to find a a perfect condition used hard top. lady bought her jeep in 2016 drove it home and took of hard top and never put it back on, sitting in garage and collecting dust. Paid half to price of a new one.

There ya go, sounds like you made the right choice and got a great deal. Congrats, and thanks for the update!

update,
so instead of buying a new factory top. I was able to find a a perfect condition used hard top. lady bought her jeep in 2016 drove it home and took of hard top and never put it back on, sitting in garage and collecting dust. Paid half to price of a new one.
Thats probably your best option. Sounds like you scored!

Pic update. Before and after

20191228_143433.jpg

20191228_143412.jpg