Hard top leaking on 2008 2-door JK (help needed)

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife's 2008 JK 2 door has a leaking hard top - mostly from the in the middle-rear of the freedom panels.

I bought a kit with all the weatherstripping pieces and installed it - many of the originals were missing. I also cleaned all the seals on the hard top itself.

I think I put the kit together correctly - though it did not come with instructions, I was able to watch some videos on youtube showing the installation method.

I am thinking now that maybe I am doing something wrong? When we got the Jeep originally, it had the hard top installed and I don't remember it leaking. We installed a soft top shortly thereafter and this is the first time the hard top has been back on. Am i tightening the round headed long bolts too tightly and pulling the top down too much in the middle? What else might I be messing up?

Any help here would be appreciated. We are getting a lot of wet weather and my wife is tired of getting wet inside the car.

Thanks.

JIM in NH

Among other leaks I've encountered with my 14JK the freedom panels were one of the most irritating.
With all the leak issues from the doors to the top, they had my Jeep 6-7 times in the first 2 years.
I had a leak that took out my after market stereo. Had others that dripped on me and my passengers.
I complained to the dealer and they always said I was doing it wrong. So I invited them to do it right.
They never could.
Finally a guy on one of the forums suggested a product called Sil Glyde. It's a silicone grease made by NAPA.
Once I tired it, I've never had the freedom top leak since.
You still have to make sure all the seals are clean and in good shape, but a healthy bead all the way around and down the middle worked for me.
I know some will object, and say it's not needed, but it cured my problem.

Reactions: jarviss88 and Chris
My 2014 leaked right at the footman loop dead center over the rear view where the latch is located. I took some electrical heat shrink, wrapped it around the loop and it tightened up the latch enough to stop the leak. Been good for a few years now.

Reactions: mrjp
My 2014 leaked right at the footman loop dead center over the rear view where the latch is located. I took some electrical heat shrink, wrapped it around the loop and it tightened up the latch enough to stop the leak. Been good for a few years now.
It rains on my front center dash, going down hill and braking. Are you referring to that L latch, to snug the panels tighter?

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Has anyone ever actually been able to make a Freedom Top stop leaking? To my knowledge it's impossible :LOL:

Such a crappy design from the factory.
Mission Impossible!

OIP (1).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
It rains on my front center dash, going down hill and braking. Are you referring to that L latch, to snug the panels tighter?
That's the one.
This little POS right here (pic is not my Jeep):

1606859245633.png

Wrap a couple turns of electrical tape or electrical shrink wrap and it'll tighten the single latch that pulls both freedom panels together. Bear in mind the water coming down on the front of your dash and right over the face of your display is actually between the panels, not on the rooftop. Jeep is sitting still, rain gets down between the panels in the seam, only to find it's way onto the front of your dash the minute you hit the brakes...

Reactions: TROY66/68 and mrjp
I bought some Sil Glyde and will put that on the rubber seals today as soon as my wife gets home (and before dark, I hope). I am also going to try NOT tightening the sound bar screws so much to see if that helps. I'll let you all know if I learn anything.

Reactions: mrjp
Every time mine leak I redo all OEM of the seals/ cushions and that usually fixes it, the small seals and water collecting pads go bad every few years, especially from putting on and off

I bought some Sil Glyde and will put that on the rubber seals today as soon as my wife gets home (and before dark, I hope). I am also going to try NOT tightening the sound bar screws so much to see if that helps. I'll let you all know if I learn anything.
*whispers* just take the sound bar screws out.

ok - all new foam bits applied, all rubber cleaned and coated with Sil Glyde (including doors and tailgate). the long rear seal was pulling away from the hard top, so reattached with black RTV. Poked the drain holes in the rear corner moldings like the factory tech note said to do. put the freedom panels on by starting with the screws to align, but did not overtighten, then latched back to front. I have done everything the internet said to do now! I hope it works.

Reactions: Martial and mrjp
So it rained again and then snowed over the weekend. When my wife drove to school on Monday she noticed the inside of the top was frosty, and when she turned the heater on, it started raining on her down her neck. Ugh. So, not fixed. I noticed that the gasket along the back of the freedom panels has some places where it's separating from the shell. I tried to fix by squeezing in a little bead of RTV and reattaching, but it's still dripping - not a lot, but enough. I think maybe that whole seal just needs to be replaced, but it's $$! I plan to put gorilla tape across the seams on the top for this winter until I can replace the seal.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: mrjp and Martial
I had leaking issues at both B pillars. I kept tightening the big hand bolts in the sport bar to no avail. Counterintuitively, I removed them completely and the leaking stopped.
Also, recommend taking everything off and cleaning the surfaces thoroughly. Make sure to properly seat the freedom tops. Take your time and check that none of the seals are folded under.

Every time I change out my sunrider soft top for the season, I grease all the weather stripping and clean all the channels to keep the weather stripping nice, this year I had to change a few of the hardtop seals, those small pads, once I changed those out the leaking stopped.

Reactions: Martial