Hard Top Buddy (or similar): who has one?

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
The wife found a product called Hard Top Buddy on FB and I’m somewhat intrigued.
The idea of being able to easily remove the top at a destination instead of before going there seems like a good plan.

Anyone here use one, see one in use, or recommend other brands/options to check out?

I’m unimpressed with the $900 cost on this particular device.
IMG_5489.jpeg

Reactions: JerryD
Interesting. I've been thinking about a TopLift which isn't portable, but provides a storage solution as well for the same price. This one is intriguing, but requires floorspace if used at home as well. I emailed them regarding compatibility with a 2Dr and storage while traveling... Not sure it fits all my requirements but I'm still in research mode. If they also offered a cart for home use that would make for an all-in-one solution. Thanks for sharing.

Dumb question, but I assume this thing swivels 180 degrees to lower the top? It is an interesting concept, but at $900? I am thinking there needs to be a more cost effective methods.

Dumb question, but I assume this thing swivels 180 degrees to lower the top? It is an interesting concept, but at $900? I am thinking there needs to be a more cost effective methods.
Yes, I confirmed after watching the video... I assumed the same!

Someone from Hard Top Buddy responded to my email and confirmed it works with a 2Dr top... Just FYI

Interesting. I've been thinking about a TopLift which isn't portable, but provides a storage solution as well for the same price. This one is intriguing, but requires floorspace if used at home as well. I emailed them regarding compatibility with a 2Dr and storage while traveling... Not sure it fits all my requirements but I'm still in research mode. If they also offered a cart for home use that would make for an all-in-one solution. Thanks for sharing.
From what it looked like on the video, the part that goes into the hitch could be replaced by a set of wheeled legs/frame (think engine hoist base) so long as it was tall enough.
It wouldn't need to swivel since you can pull it straight back and/or drive the Jeep forward if it isn't connected to the hitch.

Now I'm on the hunt for a cheap winch and a used engine stand...

From what it looked like on the video, the part that goes into the hitch could be replaced by a set of wheeled legs/frame (think engine hoist base) so long as it was tall enough.
It wouldn't need to swivel since you can pull it straight back and/or drive the Jeep forward if it isn't connected to the hitch.

Yeah I've seen cart versions elsewhere. I'd have to look at the straps, etc to see if this Hard Top Buddy has a better idea or not... Engine hoist or stand base is exactly what I had in my mind!

Like this one:

https://www.4x4outfitter.com/produc...ZSNTAr3L-LIKc4RWNMS5l_VFi4N_zwggaAjOVEALw_wcB

That's closer to the setup that I would want, but it still seems overpriced, by quite a bit.

I can buy a used engine hoist for under $100, and that would give me the base and the arm.
I can increase to the vertical height pretty cheaply, and an inexpensive electric winch can be found at Harbor Freight.

I think this could likely be built for $250-$300.

Reactions: JerryD and tJKrider
That's closer to the setup that I would want, but it still seems overpriced, by quite a bit.

I can buy a used engine hoist for under $100, and that would give me the base and the arm.
I can increase to the vertical height pretty cheaply, and an inexpensive electric winch can be found at Harbor Freight.

I think this could likely be built for $250-$300.
I agree, but the fact it is easily transportable intrigues me. MAYBE - I say MAYBE - up to about $500, certainly not the price they are asking...

The base would need to be heavy enough to support the top without tipping over. That is a decent amount of leverage/ turnover with the top being so far out, elevation combined with the weight of the top.

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD
That's why it would need to have a base with "legs" like an engine hoist, that you push under the vehicle.
That eliminates the imbalance created by the weight of the top being at the end of the arm, as it would then be almost directly above the center of the base.

Reactions: tJKrider
How you planning to haul this thing around? Detachable parts?

Different topic - I assume your hard work and determination paid off and the JK is behaving itself?

Reactions: WestCoastDan
If I made one, it would largely just be used here at the house, but my idea would be to design one using something like this type of “folding” engine hoist configuration:
IMG_5500.jpeg
IMG_5499.jpeg

Obviously the hydraulic lift setup above isn’t intended to work like the winch on the previous types, so it would need to be removed or redesigned to optimize use for lifting the top.
While this isn’t super “portable”, it could be used that way if you were willing to give up this much storage space in/on the vehicle or trailer, etc.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
My brother has one for his j/k MTY POCKETS not a portable one but it keeps the top suspended just below the rafters of his garage allowing him too retain floor space. I just keep my soft top on all year long

Resized_20221105_103022.jpeg

Reactions: tJKrider
If I made one, it would largely just be used here at the house, but my idea would be to design one using something like this type of “folding” engine hoist configuration:
View attachment 126814View attachment 126815

Obviously the hydraulic lift setup above isn’t intended to work like the winch on the previous types, so it would need to be removed or redesigned to optimize use for lifting the top.
While this isn’t super “portable”, it could be used that way if you were willing to give up this much storage space in/on the vehicle or trailer, etc.
If mostly for home might be a way (where there is a will there is way) to rig something up, use a pulley and use your winch to lift it off. The winch on the other Jeep.