Hard Rock diff lockers taking a while to unlock 2015 JKU

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
First time since I’ve owned the Jeep took it on a gravel road to check and see if 4WD and lockers etc. worked. Didn’t test the sway bar. All else worked fine till time to disengage the lockers. They seemed to take forever. They locked in a matter of seconds. I drove around for a while in 4WD, turned the Jeep of for a few. turned back on still flashing on the dash. Finally the front disengaged. Put it 2WD drove around some and finally the rear unlocked. Obviously could fell the difference in reaction so I know they unlocked. Maybe I just expected it to be quick as I’ve never had them in my other Jeep.

Question, how long do they normally take to disengage? I have no idea when they last were used.

2015 JKU, Hand Rock, 6 Speed Manual.

Thank you, Dan

Mine disengage in under 30 sec. and I always make sure they are disconnected before reaching pavement

Thanks for letting me know your experience. Kinda of hesitant to try again if it does it again how to disengage it. Guess question is how to disengage it if gets stuck. Can one disconnect the electrical connection to disengage it?

Reactions: mrjp
Well generally speaking the lockers can get stuck sometimes and usually it's as simple as putting the vehicle in neutral and just rocking it back and forth or letting it roll at 1-2 mph, at which point they'll disengage.

Thank you Chris. First time with lockers on a Jeep. They engaged so quickly figured they would disengage faster. I am sure I made the issue worse by hitting the button to engage them, then disengage them etc. Finally just hit to disengage and drove around a little. Front disengaged then the rear.

I’ve read a few post recommending to use the system once a month, any thoughts on that? I know in my YJ I’d use the transfer every other month. I don’t think PO used the system much as I was under the Jeep this weekend looking / preparing to see what is required to install the oil / engine skid plate I ordered from Rock Hard and the underside is really clean, even the factory skid at the fuel tank.

Thank you again.

Danarch,

If you are under power, the lockers will not disengage, also if you are turning, where there is a load on them, the will not disengage. As Chris said putting in neutral also helps. They don't always lock right away or unlock, it varys by the conditions at the time.
Frank

Frank,

Thank you for letting me know. I was turning some as the area was small. I hadn’t tried out the 4WD or the lockers since purchasing the Jeep and wanted to give it a try In the small area available at the time.