Good cruising RPM range for manual?

HughGrection

I've tried looking this up but nothing comes up on the internet. Im trying to figure out what a good cruising Rpm range is for my manual JK. I've tried keeping it between 1500-2000 but find it a bit difficult to speed up a bit to keep with traffic without having to downshift. What are your guys opinion on this?
2018 6 speed, 3.21 with 33in tires

1500-2000 RPM is not a good cruising range. You're lugging the engine at that point.

A good cruising RPM range for the 3.6 would be 2400-3000 RPM (I myself would like it closer to 3000 RPM).

1500-2000 RPM is not a good cruising range. You're lugging the engine at that point.
You are only lugging if you are trying to accelerate. Just cruising there is no lugging.
Lugging is a function of load, not rpm.

That said, Highway cruising for me is 2200rpm. Dropping gears to hit 3K rpm if I want to accelerate or want a bit of engine braking.

But the past few days, driving to the beach to run the dog, I've been down to 700rpm in 2nd gear pushing thru a foot of snow. Still not lugging cuz there was no real load. And thru snow staying well below the 3K rpm power sweet spot is the best way to keep moving. In snow I rarely use 1st gear and never hit 2K rpm.

Two things, gear down to get the power when you need it, and gear up to drop rpms and stretch the legs when you don't need that power. A great way to learn the gear you should be in, go drive anything with the new 8 or 9 speed automatics and see how often and quickly they shift.

Last edited:
Yup that is my comfort zone.
2200-2300 is my highway RPM.
normal speed is an average range of 65 to 70 mph.
if i pass some slower cars i will go up to the range of 2400 - 2500 RPM.
that will get me up to around 80 mph - I am an old dude, it's fine, if speed reach 90 mph then my knee shakes.

Last edited:
These little v-6 engines like a little rpm.
you aren’t doing it any harm to run 22-2500 rpm all day long.
watch your temp gauge for feedback if your rpms get up beyond 25-26 for extended periods of time