General gear swap advice

Jack102

Hey all, I have been reaching out to get a gear swap done at a few different shops both in Jersey and up in PA due to the labor prices being fairly cheaper. I just wanted to get a few different opinions on whether I should go with Yukon or Dana for the 4:88 ratio. I was told by a Transmission shop up in PA that I should 100% not go with the Yukon and that they aren't as durable as the Dana products. But, I have also read that Yukon offers a lifetime warranty for their products so I am not sure which I should go with. Not sure if the guy at the Trans shop is speaking the truth or not. The Yukon package was ranging me around 3400 and would also come with a slip diff where as the Dana package is right around the same price but without the slip diff. Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:
But, I have also read that Yukon offers a lifetime warranty
I have no experience with Yukon, but I'm guessing their warranty won't cover R&R if something fails, which is the bulk of the cost to regear. Dana makes gears for millions of OEM vehicles each year. Possibly Yukon is just as good or better? IDK, but I wouldn't base the decision on the warranty...

Reactions: Jack102
I've used both, in offroad and racing applications. Last time my Vette was on a dyno, it made over 700HP at the wheels. It's got Yukon gears.
I built a 383 Chevy powered YJ on 40's. It had Dana in one diff and Yukon in the other. Because I bought whichever was available and cheaper.

All differentials slip. That's their job. If your shop is offering gears with a limited slip for $3400, go for it. Unless your Jeep is 100% a mall crawler, and will never see snow, you really want the limited slip.

Reactions: tJKrider
I've used both, in offroad and racing applications. Last time my Vette was on a dyno, it made over 700HP at the wheels. It's got Yukon gears.
I built a 383 Chevy powered YJ on 40's. It had Dana in one diff and Yukon in the other. Because I bought whichever was available and cheaper.

All differentials slip. That's their job. If your shop is offering gears with a limited slip for $3400, go for it. Unless your Jeep is 100% a mall crawler, and will never see snow, you really want the limited slip.
Were the Yukon gears loud for you? Seems like people around the web are saying they are much louder than the Dana's. Let me know at your earliest convenience looking to get this job sooner than later. Thanks

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Were the Yukon gears loud for you? Seems like people around the web are saying they are much louder than the Dana's. Let me know at your earliest convenience looking to get this job sooner than later. Thanks
Gears would have to be incredibly loud to hear over the engines...

Gears would have to be incredibly loud to hear over the engines...
Gear whine would be easy to pick out over engine/exhaust noise. Even on my track car I could hear it. Not necessarily the loudness, but the frequency is so different. Maybe that is what @Jack102 is referring too?

Note, I'm not saying it's the same whine as improperly installed gears... Could be from surface finish or tooth geometry differences between the two.

Gear whine would be easy to pick out over engine/exhaust noise. Even on my track car I could hear it. Not necessarily the loudness, but the frequency is so different. Maybe that is what @Jack102 is referring too?

Note, I'm not saying it's the same whine as improperly installed gears... Could be from surface finish or tooth geometry differences between the two.
Yes, lot of people saying that you may experience a noticeable noise compared to the Dana Spicer. I am aware the spicer is more money but I wouldn't mind spending the extra money to suite my needs. Just not sure which one to make a decision on I hear both good and bad things about Yukon and don't know what to believe where as the Dana I only hear good things. I get the Yukon comes with lifetime warranty but I think that's really only ring and pinion.

Reactions: tJKrider