Gear slipping?

METALHEAD

I bought a 2012 Wrangler 2 door in March. I found out quick 6th gear in the manual is a hold speed only, as long as your not going up any incline. I felt the slip or something. I'm assuming it was gear slip. But I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the tranny, it's more like maybe it kicks out when under demand. Is this normal? Not just 6th gear, happened in 4th and 5th at other times. Wondered if it was normal or should I take a deeper look at the tranny?

How many miles? What size tires are you running? What gears do you have? When the slippage happens do the RPM`s rise? Sounds more like your clutch is slipping. Could be time for a new clutch assembly

Reactions: Lxxtsy
My manual trans doesn't do that, sounds like the little plastic pieces for 6th gear might be missing and it's not going into gear all the way.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
715000 right now. Tires measure 30 inches from ground to top. Been told that is considered 32s but not sure. 6 speed manual tranny 3.21 gear ratio as fat as I know. The tag is not on the diff plate. Don't know if it's been regeared or the tag just came off. RPMs do not go up. I thought maybe when I try to accelerate that I'm putting to much demand at a lower RPM and the gear slips. Wondered if something was wrong or if that is normal.

I don't smell anything. I'm wondering if I am putting to much demand at lower RPMs. When I hit a hill or something and the RPMs start falling and I push the acceleration a lil more that's when it does it.

It did it again today in 2nd gear. I down shifted and stepped a little deep on the peddle and it slipped. Didn't come out of gear. It just slipped and kept going. Of course I was off the peddle as soon as it happened. I'm aware of how to check the trans fluid, is there anything else I should check. I'm a good enough driveway mechanic, just no experience on a more modern style. Had an 84 CJ7 a decade ago. I have noticed when I push in the clutch there is something like a clicking sound. Done that from day one. Just thought maybe it's normal for more modern clutches. Am I right or wrong? Thanks to everyone that replied with advice. I'm eager to know every thing I can learn.

Any advice on where to start? I can read about it but I'd like some input from people here. Seems that is where the lesser known info comes from.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to do a run we up anyway. Complete fluids change also. I appreciate you taking the time and finding that. I recently registered at that forum. I'm METALHEAD12 there. I did not see a reply from Renegade when asked if the plug change fixed the issue. Id like to know that. Thanks again. Very good info.

Reactions: mrjp