Gascap warning on dash coupled with check engine

randycloud

2010 jeep wrangler JK 4 door. hi guys, wondering if anyone else has had this issue and to see what you found and did about it. it has been smoked 2 times for an evac leak and nothing there. the gas cap has been replaced as i know they do have vacuum problems over time. i also get a check engine light as well. any time you disconnect the battery it resets and within a few miles, it comes right back. also, if you go in and clear the codes, it will come back within a short time. my current mechanics are saying they need it for longer periods of time to figure out what is really going on but i think it is maybe a sensor or something of that nature and i don't want to give them my 401 to "figure" it out as they have had it 3 times so far and cannot find the actual issue. they just give it back to me after a short test run and call it fixed. any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a plastic hose the connects to the top of the evac tank on the rear right of the vehicle, the hose connects on the left side of the tank looking from the back of the jeep. Right where the hose connect to the tank it will sometimes crack causing the same CEL/error code as loose gas cap. If the end of the hose is cracked it may be hard to see if it is up and opposite from your viewing angle.

Had the same problem with my 2010. Smoke test proved negative. Turned out to be partial (not full) bloc in the evap canister. I over filled the tank, with a faulty gas pump handle. Check your esim, if it is stuck closed, or open it may trip a code. Lots of info on Y Tube for this.

Try replacing this. It's a simple 2min job. It will throw a Gas Cap code.

Also check the gas tank. There is a White vent on top of the tank with 3 ports on it. It's not uncommon for these to leak either. I'm not sure if you can find a replacement without buying the whole tank though. There is a YT video of a guy fixing it JB weld. But my guess would be the above.

39GwG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp and Ghstrydr