Fuel leak smell coming from 2012 JK

frustrated1

I have a 2012 jeep wrangler jk 3.6l pentastar and have a fuel leak. I can smell gas really bad inside vehicle but not much on outside. does anyone know where it could be coming from? when it has been parked overnight the next time I get in it it smells really bad inside, but there is no smell on the outside. I have to drive with the window cracked because the smell comes through the vents. Any ideas???? This engine is the worst!! I love the jeep but am tired of fixing it!

I have a 2012 jeep wrangler jk 3.6l pentastar and have a fuel leak. I can smell gas really bad inside vehicle but not much on outside. does anyone know where it could be coming from? when it has been parked overnight the next time I get in it it smells really bad inside, but there is no smell on the outside. I have to drive with the window cracked because the smell comes through the vents. Any ideas???? This engine is the worst!! I love the jeep but am tired of fixing it!

Is your CEL on?

If the CEL's been flashing then have the codes pulled to see what they are, could give you a idea of what the problem could be.

Reactions: mrjp

Well if you don't smell it when you pop the hood that leaves somewhere between the tank or the lines leading to the fuel rail.

EVAP canister could be saturated too.

Reactions: BigAL07
Well if you don't smell it when you pop the hood that leaves somewhere between the tank or the lines leading to the fuel rail.

EVAP canister could be saturated too.
Soooo, I changed my fuel onjectors because a jeep dealership said they may be bad. I had them run a diagnostic for left head a couple of weeks ago. When I took off lower manifold I found a blue shop towel stuck to it saturated with gas. I can’t believe the mechanic didn’t see it or was it a ploy to make more money off of me. 😡 now I have codes p2173,P0171 and p0174. Any suggestions?

Soooo, I changed my fuel onjectors because a jeep dealership said they may be bad. I had them run a diagnostic for left head a couple of weeks ago. When I took off lower manifold I found a blue shop towel stuck to it saturated with gas. I can’t believe the mechanic didn’t see it or was it a ploy to make more money off of me. 😡 now I have codes p2173,P0171 and p0174. Any suggestions?

So a vacuum leak and two codes that indicate lean condition with an apparent fuel leak.

Makes sense. If you have a fuel leak enough gas might not be getting into the combustion chamber and causing the lean codes.

What was the timeline here? Did the codes exist before the injectors were replaced? Who replaced the injectors? Did the leak happen before or after the injectors were swapped out?

If you have the manifolds off can you pressurize the fuel rail and injectors to see if they're leaking? I have a 3.8 so I'm not entirely sure how the fuel rail is setup on the 3.6

Other than that I'd look for the obvious such as manifold injector orings and such.

Who could have left the shop rag in there and how did it get there?

The dealership mechanic left the shop paper towel. The codes were not there before injectors changed. I changed them out due to not trusting dealership for obvious reasons and I can’t afford to take it anywhere. The injectors are new with new o rings. I no longer smell gas. Couldn’t be the map sensor? The O2 sensors were already changed this year. The plenum gaskets are fairly new… probably 4months old. I haven’t driven it very far, maybe 2miles, could the vehicle just need to adjust to the new injectors? I think I might or had maybe 2 bad ones. I’ll be rechecking hose connections and connectors tomorrow and driving into town to get gas to see what happens. This engine/ year is the worst. Evan at a dealership the salesman told my pastor NOT to buy a 2012 that it was bad.

Reactions: mrjp
The dealership mechanic left the shop paper towel. The codes were not there before injectors changed. I changed them out due to not trusting dealership for obvious reasons and I can’t afford to take it anywhere. The injectors are new with new o rings. I no longer smell gas. Couldn’t be the map sensor? The O2 sensors were already changed this year. The plenum gaskets are fairly new… probably 4months old. I haven’t driven it very far, maybe 2miles, could the vehicle just need to adjust to the new injectors? I think I might or had maybe 2 bad ones. I’ll be rechecking hose connections and connectors tomorrow and driving into town to get gas to see what happens. This engine/ year is the worst. Evan at a dealership the salesman told my pastor NOT to buy a 2012 that it was bad.

Ok.

My guess would be looking at the codes is that you have a large vacuum leak and that is what is causing your AFR's to go lean then.

I'd smoke check it for leaks paying special attention to anything you took off to get to the injectors.

No codes before replacing, codes after....something went wrong there.

Why did you change the injectors in the first place? What codes did you have then?

Reactions: BigAL07

And yeah I guess a bad MAP could cause the problem as well.

Ok.

My guess would be looking at the codes is that you have a large vacuum leak and that is what is causing your AFR's to go lean then.

I'd smoke check it for leaks paying special attention to anything you took off to get to the injectors.

No codes before replacing, codes after....something went wrong there.

Why did you change the injectors in the first place? What codes did you have then?
I replace them because the dealership said I probably having a couple that are bad so I changed them all. Good news is I just came out to check there was a loud hissing noise and I found a hose that was not pushed all the way on. So I no longer have a check engine light. I really appreciate you talking with me through this as I was getting very frustrated, this jeep has been a nightmare and I love jeeps so it has been very disappointing. I will take it for a longer drive today to see if everything is OK. Thank you so much! Have a blessed day and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

I replace them because the dealership said I probably having a couple that are bad so I changed them all. Good news is I just came out to check there was a loud hissing noise and I found a hose that was not pushed all the way on. So I no longer have a check engine light. I really appreciate you talking with me through this as I was getting very frustrated, this jeep has been a nightmare and I love jeeps so it has been very disappointing. I will take it for a longer drive today to see if everything is OK. Thank you so much! Have a blessed day and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for updating us, it could help someone else that might have a similar issue.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Vman

Glad it all came together for you! Trust me, I know the feeling of wanting to whack your grape on the bumper in frustration. Most of us that work on our own vehicles probably do at some point.

Thanks for letting everyone know how you fixed it in case they have something like that in the future.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp