Front Inner Axle Seals

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
Just curious how often some have to replace these. I have had my jeep since Oct of 2019 and had to have them replaced twice already. Walked out after work yesterday and noticed that one is leaking again.... :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: mrjp
Sure it's not the install and not necessarily the seals?
I've read about guys using all kinds of homemade contraptions to install the seals and they end up not properly sealed all the way around or completely pushed in.
The seals are about $20 for the pair, but a decent install tool will run you twice that.

https://youtu.be/uDLfbrwd4rk

Sure it's not the install and not necessarily the seals?
I've read about guys using all kinds of homemade contraptions to install the seals and they end up not properly sealed all the way around or completely pushed in.
The seals are about $20 for the pair, but a decent install tool will run you twice that.

Was under warranty the past two times it was replaced so it was done by the dealer.

I don't have the bandwidth to do the job myself right now, but i will be taking it to my 4x4 shop who does this stuff all the time.

If they don't clean everything up like the vid shows, doesn't take long before the grit and grime from the trails gets to the bearings and just chews them up. At least ask to see the old bearings when they're done and look for scoring, grime in the bearing race and other dirt.
Have you changed the front diff fluid yourself and, if so, did you notice how dirty the fluid was?

If your doing offroading should have these seals to help keep dirt and water out of the tubes. It doesn't fix the leaking oil seals though.

If your doing offroading should have these seals to help keep dirt and water out of the tubes. It doesn't fix the leaking oil seals though.

Eh, in my experience these are a double edge sword. Sure they might prevent some water and crud getting in the tubes, but you also wouldn’t know if your seal is ever leaking and it will just pool at the bottom of the tube.

The axle tubes can get water and dirt in them, you just need to wash them out. Tons of people leave the factory oil slingers off so they can wash out the axle tubes and have zero issues leaving them off.

Eh, in my experience these are a double edge sword. Sure they might prevent some water and crud getting in the tubes, but you also wouldn’t know if your seal is ever leaking and it will just pool at the bottom of the tube.

The axle tubes can get water and dirt in them, you just need to wash them out. Tons of people leave the factory oil slingers off so they can wash out the axle tubes and have zero issues leaving them off.

True, but it's just like with any of the other fluids and tires you need to check them on a regular basis. I don't use the seals but I have seen others use them.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
Just an update. I found a warranty document on Mopar.com that warranties gaskets and seals installed by a dealer for 12 months/unlimited miles.

Luckily this happened now as I got this fixed on 03/04/21. Just made it! Getting it in the shop next Friday and my buddy is going to try to get me a loaner. Glad I found it as a small google search saved me $450

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Just an update. I found a warranty document on Mopar.com that warranties gaskets and seals installed by a dealer for 12 months/unlimited miles.

Luckily this happened now as I got this fixed on 03/04/21. Just made it! Getting it in the shop next Friday and my buddy is going to try to get me a loaner. Glad I found it as a small google search saved me $450

Google is my best friend, glad he saved you some money.

I did mine once. The correct tool for it is about $80 and the seals are cheap. Need a few long extensions to knock old ones out.

It's not a difficult job, just a little messy and time consuming.

Dropping the tie rod on one side makes it easy to pull the carrier out of the diff. Just have to make sure you don't get the brackets mixed up. Side specific and bottom/top specific when you put em back in. Gotta make sure shims go back in on correct side.

Other than that it's just a lot of pulling wheels and axles and banging your head on stuff.

I did mine once. The correct tool for it is about $80 and the seals are cheap. Need a few long extensions to knock old ones out.

It's not a difficult job, just a little messy and time consuming.

Dropping the tie rod on one side makes it easy to pull the carrier out of the diff. Just have to make sure you don't get the brackets mixed up. Side specific and bottom/top specific when you put em back in. Gotta make sure shims go back in on correct side.

Other than that it's just a lot of pulling wheels and axles and banging your head on stuff.
Yeah....as stated before I dont have the bandwidth (Full time work, full time grad school, running a Rigs & Coffee, plus girlfriend and friends...)

Plus if its under warranty, let them fix it so that if it goes out again, they have to replace again. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah....as stated before I dont have the bandwidth (Full time work, full time grad school, running a Rigs & Coffee, plus girlfriend and friends...)

Plus if its under warranty, let them fix it so that if it goes out again, they have to replace again. 🤷‍♂️

Oh I agree, I'm just saying it's not that bad if it goes warranty + 1 and blows up in your face down the road.

I recommended that tool because it's not that expensive and does allow you to feel confident you didn't screw up the seals.

I remember what it was like with a full college load while humping an ALICE pack and not having a place to work on my only vehicle. 20's and 30's is a hard hustle if you're doing it right. Good luck!