Front End Components

SteveF

U.S. Coast Guard Retired
Supporting Member
How can I tell if my tie rod and draglink are going bad? Should there be any movement if I grab them and try to twist? When I bought the jeep back in 2020 it was already lifted I believe 4 inches. So I don't know if what I have is stock or aftermarket.

20231116_140941.jpg

Easiest way is to have someone get in the Jeep and turn the steering wheel while you’re under it looking at the joints. Should be no play in the tie rod ends.

That looks like stock steering parts.
If I were to replace them do I need a front end alignment afterwards? They don't look too difficult to replace.

If I were to replace them do I need a front end alignment afterwards? They don't look too difficult to replace.
They are not difficult to replace. You really should align it after. If it's mostly a trail rig, you can align it at home with a tape measure, but I wouldn't recommend that for anything that see's much street time.

Reactions: JerryD
Unfortunately it's been more of a mall crawler. I have not been financially able to to do much off-roading. I had plans when I bought it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Unfortunately it's been more of a mall crawler. I have not been financially able to to do much off-roading. I had plans when I bought it.
It get's pricey. Build it, break it, repair it, break it again...
You can get it pretty close when you swap the ends by counting the exposed threads.

Couple years ago my 2014 JKU, lifted 2.5", started pulling a little. Nothing major and not even noticeable until you took your hands off the wheel and a couple seconds later would start drifting. Alignment didn't help, so my local shop guy (who owns a CJ, YJ and JK) got it up on a lift and we used a 4' level, a line level and a laser level; did all 3 from each side and determined the tie rod was out of true somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16".
I couldn't believe how that fraction of an inch translated to the 35s going down the road.

Couple years ago my 2014 JKU, lifted 2.5", started pulling a little. Nothing major and not even noticeable until you took your hands off the wheel and a couple seconds later would start drifting. Alignment didn't help, so my local shop guy (who owns a CJ, YJ and JK) got it up on a lift and we used a 4' level, a line level and a laser level; did all 3 from each side and determined the tie rod was out of true somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16".
I couldn't believe how that fraction of an inch translated to the 35s going down the road.
Once in a while I'll get a bit of death wobble when I hit a bump in the road. I can get up on the highway and do 70 with no problem

Ok so if I change the draglink and tie rod, is there a brand you recommend. I don't do much offroading so I don't need the top of the line.

Reactions: BigAL07
Any name brand tie rod end will work just fine.
It's more expensive up front, but there are tie rod end eliminator kits available which will outlast the Jeep.