Fog Lights Not “plug and play”

Dpsteelers58

I purchased KC Hilite Apollo Pro LED fog lights for my 2015 JK Jeep. They are supposed to be plug and play. First, they didn’t plug into the existing harness on my Jeep so I ordered an an adapter. That worked but lights come on briefly and shut down. I have been told it is a CANBUS error because of the switch to LED. I have tried 2 separate resistors (a Sylvania model I bought at Advance and another I purchased from Quadratec). Neither work to fix the issue. I have the lights over a year and cannot get them to work. I don’t want to wire them separately because they will not pass inspection without covers unless they are wired into the switch. Does anyone have a solution?

Link the ones you bought if you can. A quick google showed way too many options for me to know what you have.

Tell us how long, 1 second, 5 second, 1 minute. It matters and will speak to what is shutting them down.

a few reasons I can think of for them shutting off would be that they have a built in protection circuit and are getting too much power. This seems unlikely given that you state them as being plug and play.

A second reason is that the computer isn't getting the load it needs to recognize that something is there and turns off the circuit. This fits what others have told you and is the reason for the resistor, so if the resistor didn't fix it..

Something is wired wrong, and I can't even begin to guess what until I know what you have.

C396F4F1-545F-48CF-82D4-97E0D02B1914.jpeg
D465F0E2-6DD5-4497-930B-E819E586C78C.jpeg
5975867B-5FE2-46A3-A5F8-B6600314DE44.jpeg
They only flash on for like one second. I’m plugging them into the original wiring harness (using an adapter). I bought the anti flicker kit from Quadratech and the 12v 6 ohm resistor from advance. Same result. Light comes on for no more than a second and shuts down.

C396F4F1-545F-48CF-82D4-97E0D02B1914.jpeg

D465F0E2-6DD5-4497-930B-E819E586C78C.jpeg

I see you had the same fun we all have with the wonky picture adding part of this site.:ROFLMAO:

In looking on quadratech and reading the instructions for both apollo KC lights, you are intended to use the provided relay to connect them directly to the battery. Then based on the laws of your state tap in the appropriate wire for the switched lead on the relay.

If you are unaware, a relay is a switch. However, instead of you physically flipping the switch it is activated by feeding power to it. So if you wire the lights to the battery through the relay, then attach the switched lead to (for example) the fog light power wire, then anytime the fog lights are turned on, power will be sent to the relay, the circuit with close, and give power to the lights from the battery. They are made so a lower power circuit can turn on a higher power one.

I'm almost positive that there isn't enough power allowed through the fog light circuit for them to work. That is why the relay is provided. These lights draw too much power, the resistor is just making it worse. So the computer is killing the lights immediately to protect itself.

I'm not sure where you saw that they were plug and play, because quadratech puts these at a level 3. You have to do some wiring. But it can be done without putting a separate switch inside. This is for both the 55Watt 5" and the 100Watt 6 inch.

Reactions: mrjp
Ok. That helps. So you are saying I can wire the lights so I can use the existing switch for the factory lights? That’s the problem. In VA, you have to have them wired so the fog lights go off when the high beams are switched on. Otherwise, they have to be covered (and why have nice looking lights if you have to cover them!). And, yes the picture attachment feature is a challenge.

Ok. That helps. So you are saying I can wire the lights so I can use the existing switch for the factory lights? That’s the problem. In VA, you have to have them wired so the fog lights go off when the high beams are switched on. Otherwise, they have to be covered (and why have nice looking lights if you have to cover them!). And, yes the picture attachment feature is a challenge.
This diagram should help you. Instead of using the on/off switch that comes with the kit, you will splice your fog lights wire in to trigger your lights on. We have the same law in PA. This is how I wired mine.

FMAYKAJIYYSWBA3.jpg

Your 2015 light system is already set up that your fogs will turn off when you hit the hi-beams.
So wiring them thru the battery to the original power lead shouldn't change anything.