Fog lights as turn signals

lippardj

I bought my JKU about six months ago and the fog lights work as my blinkers. When I turn on my fog lights by pulling out the turn signal switch, my parking lights get brighter. In other words the are a$$ backwards. Could it be a faulty turn signal switch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What year is your JKU?

Could have some wires shorted together somewhere, or possibly the switch.

Has it done this since you bought it? My guess would be that a previous owner messed with the electrical system to get this result.

If you are comfortable with 12v electrical systems it's possible it would be easy to find where the mod was done... possible, though it's also possible it won't be easy.

It's also possible that a ground wire is doing something odd. My first step would be to see if any changes have been made to the wiring. especially if the previous owner put LEDs in.

Reactions: mrjp
Has it done this since you bought it? My guess would be that a previous owner messed with the electrical system to get this result.

If you are comfortable with 12v electrical systems it's possible it would be easy to find where the mod was done... possible, though it's also possible it won't be easy.

It's also possible that a ground wire is doing something odd. My first step would be to see if any changes have been made to the wiring. especially if the previous owner put LEDs in.
Yes it has been this way since I bought it. I have traced the wiring harness and I can’t see any areas where any wires look modified. I was just wondering if there would be a way to do this through the ECM with a programmer?

There may be. I have a 2009, so which has a different engine and I can't check. I do know there are a number of options with regard to how the lights work.

However the fact that it dims or brightens implies a grounding problem to a certain degree.

Reactions: lippardj
There may be. I have a 2009, so which has a different engine and I can't check. I do know there are a number of options with regard to how the lights work.

However the fact that it dims or brightens implies a grounding problem to a certain degree.
Thanks! The turns signals only brighten when I turn on the fog lights switch on the turn signal instead of the fog lights coming on.