Floaty Feeling

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
So, i know this is probably typical for Jeeps, but the "floaty" feeling. I have a feeling I know how to correct it, but just wanted to get input from others.

My father is pretty knowledgeable about vehicles and has a pretty well built jeep. When i have driven his, there is no floaty feeling and its tight.

My Jeep came with Cooper Discoverer STT Pros (35s) and has the factory steering stabilizer. My dads jeep has the fox steering stabilizer (which i intend to get) and he mentioned that the floaty feeling could be from the steering stabilizer currently equipped as well as the tires. He explained that coopers tend to have a thinner sidewall than some tires and because of this the outside of the tire somewhat shifts in relation to the inner tire as you are driving down the road (very little, but enough to feel).

Does this sound credible? It made sense in my mind.

What kind of jeep does your dad have (year, model), what modifications and brands are they, and same questions for your jeep.
It's not the tires, cooper stt pro are one of the best, I run them on both my jeeps, neither is floaty, although my jku is way more plush than my lj. Mopar 2 inch fox shocks on the jku vs ome shocks on my lj, world of difference but apples to oranges, thus my question about what are you comparing your jeep to?

It is my understanding that if the suspension is properly setup, it should run smooth and solid even without a steering stabilizer.

But they come from the factory with them, so they do have a purpose. But I guarantee you their purpose is not to mask a shitty suspension setup, loose parts or death wobble! ;)

Reactions: IndominusHuman
It is my understanding that if the suspension is properly setup, it should run smooth and solid even without a steering stabilizer.

But they come from the factory with them, so they do have a purpose. But I guarantee you their purpose is not to mask a shitty suspension setup, loose parts or death wobble! ;)
Running stock suspension so doubt that is the issue. lol

What kind of jeep does your dad have (year, model), what modifications and brands are they, and same questions for your jeep.
It's not the tires, cooper stt pro are one of the best, I run them on both my jeeps, neither is floaty, although my jku is way more plush than my lj. Mopar 2 inch fox shocks on the jku vs ome shocks on my lj, world of difference but apples to oranges, thus my question about what are you comparing your jeep to?
Same jeep (17 Rubicon Recon *his is unlimited*), he has got a 4inch rubicon express (the progressive spring setup) with fox shocks, fox steering stabilizer, and running 37inch Toyo Open Country MT.

So maybe the fox shocks?

Literally picked it up Saturday from the dealer (certified) so I would hope it wouldn't be out of alignment. Doesn't seem to feel anything like when a previous vehicle has been out of alignment.

Ok, it makes sense now. The rubicon stock is very soft suspension. Softer than my 02 tahoe Z71. Your dad's is "tight" because of the lift, and the tires are probably load range E, your's at stock size are load range "C". Between the hard E tires, and stiff shocks, that where the difference is. If you want to firm your jeep suspension, get some bilsteins and some load range E tires. I don't recommend that solution, but that's why your jeep is "floaty" or soft, and his or "tight" or firm. Assuming of course all bushings, shocks, etc on your jeep are in good shape which being stock and most likely low miles since it's only 2 years old.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
G
Ok, it makes sense now. The rubicon stock is very soft suspension. Softer than my 02 tahoe Z71. Your dad's is "tight" because of the lift, and the tires are probably load range E, your's at stock size are load range "C". Between the hard E tires, and stiff shocks, that where the difference is. If you want to firm your jeep suspension, get some bilsteins and some load range E tires. I don't recommend that solution, but that's why your jeep is "floaty" or soft, and his or "tight" or firm. Assuming of course all bushings, shocks, etc on your jeep are in good shape which being stock and most likely low miles since it's only 2 years old.
Gotcha. That makes sense in my mind.

I guess it doesn’t help that I just came from a new Honda Civic that handled amazingly (for a cheap sedan) and stuck to the pavement. :ROFLMAO: That is probably part of the issue.

Reactions: Jeepaholic
So, i know this is probably typical for Jeeps, but the "floaty" feeling. I have a feeling I know how to correct it, but just wanted to get input from others.

My father is pretty knowledgeable about vehicles and has a pretty well built jeep. When i have driven his, there is no floaty feeling and its tight.

My Jeep came with Cooper Discoverer STT Pros (35s) and has the factory steering stabilizer. My dads jeep has the fox steering stabilizer (which i intend to get) and he mentioned that the floaty feeling could be from the steering stabilizer currently equipped as well as the tires. He explained that coopers tend to have a thinner sidewall than some tires and because of this the outside of the tire somewhat shifts in relation to the inner tire as you are driving down the road (very little, but enough to feel).

Does this sound credible? It made sense in my mind.

One reason could be your power steering gear box. Having the same problem and am going to replace it in about 3 weeks as mine has been leaking for awhile now. I'll let you know how that goes.

Until then, here's a video you may be interested in...the guy in the video was having the same problem as well.

Reactions: Chris
Check the tire wear on those 37 Toyo Open Country MTs. I have the 35" version of those tires and, although I still have several thousand miles worth of tread left, the feeling I get could almost be described as "floaty" on occasion. I'm within a month or 2 of replacing my tires, as soon as I can find the Toyo AT3 (tires are a bitch to find post-pandemic) and mine have about 45k miles on them.