Factory shocks replacement

Blue Jeep JK

This is a short term fix. I’m considering doing a 2.5 lift some time in the future but need to smooth out the ride now. I presume the OEM shocks are not the first choice but I will ask the forum about that assumption. So far, my research has pointed to the Rancho 9200 adjustable shock. Any other ideas or recommendations? 🚙💨

In my opinion Rancho shocks ride excellent. I can say that I have the Bilstein 5100 AEV tuned shocks as part of my AEV life, and they ride excellent as well.

Reactions: LCBOYER
If it's just temporary, or even permanent, I'd just find a set of used ones on cl from someone that installed a lift and no longer needs their brand new used shocks. What do you mean by smooth out the ride? My rubicon was never bouncy or stiff...

Reactions: Chris
If it's just temporary, or even permanent, I'd just find a set of used ones on cl from someone that installed a lift and no longer needs their brand new used shocks. What do you mean by smooth out the ride? My rubicon was never bouncy or stiff...
Compared to what?

I have 48K on the speedometer plus another 20K or more from being towed behind the RV. I can push on the side of the Jeep and rock it. I let go and it will give me three or four more oscillations. Factory shocks are showing wear and so are the tires. The wear on the tires is uneven too. I‘m going to replace the tires at the same time. The idea of replacing the old fac shocks with a set from an upgrade is a worthy consideration. I’m leaning towards just opening the wallet and doing the whole thing given the right deal.

Reactions: Chris
Okay ... I did it. I went with the AEV 2.5 lift and added 33 inch tires. Just put 2,000 highway miles on it and (according my wife) the ride is smoother on and off highway. I agree with her ... washboards and rocky/rough roads are handled and attenuated as expected.
4012B6CA-71A2-401D-9F95-7EA56F45D64E.jpeg

Still not done ... my wife needs a side rail strut to get in ... so that goes on soon ... all in all, no regrets.

Looks fantastic! I always push the AEV kit because I know how happy I am with mine. Unless you want to go for some extreme build, it really is the best lift kit out there (IMHO) for a dual purpose vehicle that is mostly driven on the street.