Equipment needed to flat tow

Milo Bloom

Hi everyone - new owner of a 2013 JKU Sahara. Looking to set it up for flat towing behind an RV but I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around what components I need. Is there a checklist out there, or does anyone know of a full kit that includes everything?

This is the kit I just purchased. Not too bad of an installation. Includes a surge brake and break-away brake. Haven't towed behind my RV yet, so I cannot speak to how well it will track behind the RV.

https://nsatowbars.com/products/rea...9&_sid=9f90d9975&_ss=r&variant=39520911622229
fantastic thank you... this is kind of an illustration of my problem - I find something like this and then it appears there are some base plates needed or other such attachment point? At first I figured something like this would include everything but as I dove a little further it seemed that may not be the case.

fantastic thank you... this is kind of an illustration of my problem - I find something like this and then it appears there are some base plates needed or other such attachment point? At first I figured something like this would include everything but as I dove a little further it seemed that may not be the case.
You have to have an attachment point on the Jeep. So either you purchase a baseplate that is configured for the year/model of your Jeep, or some aftermarket bumpers (like mine) have welded tabs that are the correct size for the universal clevis to attach. This is going to be true regardless of the manufacturer of tow bar you purchase.

I set my jeep up last year. You basically need:
- a base plate bolted to Jeep to attach tow bar to.
- Tow bar
- braking system for jeep
- break away system
- Braking/turn lights for the jeep
- Safety cables

I found someone on craigslist that had everything except base plate
Blue Ox tow bar
Foot well motion sensing brake system - with Wifi monitor in RV
- This also tells me Jeep battery voltage
Wifi Tow lights - Can be separate light or using Jeeps
- My jeep appears to have wiring for it but was cut
RockJock tow bar plate

I had to add 3 key off electric outlets to power every thing.
It took a couple days to get it up and running

I towed TJ for 5 years. What will you be towing your Jeep with. If its something with air brakes then I suggest the air force one auxiliary braking system. It will come with a breakaway system as well. Otherwise I recommend the Stay - In - Play Duo breaking system

My TJ

20170102_145434.jpg

Reactions: mrjp
Take a look at etrailer they have everything you will need. They also have great videos of the installation and downloadable pdf of the instructions. The braking system is pretty wide spread also depending on your motorhomes braking system (air or hydraulic) or if you just want a portable install unit. They also have a very easy plug n play wiring set up. Jeeps tow pretty nice also. I will be loading up and heading out in the morning.

IMG_3807.jpeg