Electrical issues - multiple gauge cluster alerts and loss of power steering.

DerekB

Hello everyone, I’m new to this group and I’m hoping that some of you might be able to help me troubleshoot a problem of having.

Intermittently I have received several messages in my gauge cluster, service shifter, auto park, and had My power steering completely fail.

I was still able to steer my Jeep and drive it when the power steering failed - and after I shut it off and turned it back on my power steering returned.

I’ve changed my main battery and auxiliary battery and that worked for about a week before I had the same issues creep up again.

After that, I removed fuse 42 from my fuse box and the ground from my main Battery and the Jeep ran well for about four days and Then I received similar error messaging in my gauge cluster again. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK, have any of you experienced similar issues? It would be great to have a bit of help troubleshooting this as I would like to try to fix this myself, thank you

It sounds like a electrical issue like bad grounds or you need some HD battery clamps. Maybe even add a couple new grounds, one to the engine and one to the body.

I know my 08 has grounds on the sides of the footwells for everything inside the Jeep, you might check them to see if any broken and dirty.

I agree sounds like a ground issue..behind the glove box (not sure if yours has this) but there is a wire harness that rubs against the frame ..start your jeep and wiggle that harness and see if the messages on the cluster pop up..Ill tell you jeeps have a ton of grounds I had a blinking headlight issue that was intimidating with our lights so bright and it was the screw that held a few ground wire on the crossrail behind the right headlight. Search out your grounds and shake the and clean if looking corroded

I agree sounds like a ground issue..behind the glove box (not sure if yours has this) but there is a wire harness that rubs against the frame ..start your jeep and wiggle that harness and see if the messages on the cluster pop up..Ill tell you jeeps have a ton of grounds I had a blinking headlight issue that was intimidating with our lights so bright and it was the screw that held a few ground wire on the crossrail behind the right headlight. Search out your grounds and shake the and clean if looking corroded
It sounds like a electrical issue like bad grounds or you need some HD battery clamps. Maybe even add a couple new grounds, one to the engine and one to the body.

I know my 08 has grounds on the sides of the footwells for everything inside the Jeep, you might check them to see if any broken and dirty.
thank you 🙏

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thank you 🙏

Although mentioned above, I didn't see if you have replaced the factory battery clamps yet.
I had multiple issues directly related to the cheap, folded sheet metal clamp assembly on the negative terminal which caused an intermittent return path for the entire electrical system.
The combination of the terrible clamp design (which only makes contact around the post in 2 thin 'rings', not full contact) and the short length of the negative wire harness actually dug a groove around the battery post as the vehicle shifted, twisted, shook, etc. while off-roading.
This left me stranded in the middle of the desert and I had to be towed out.

The bad connection caused nearly every dash light to flash randomly, frequently reset the radio, caused repeated 'no-start' issues, ABS and wheel speed sensor codes, etc.
In short, the factory battery clamp design is a major failure point.
Thankfully it's not a very expensive repair.

Although mentioned above, I didn't see if you have replaced the factory battery clamps yet.
I had multiple issues directly related to the cheap, folded sheet metal clamp assembly on the negative terminal which caused an intermittent return path for the entire electrical system.
The combination of the terrible clamp design (which only makes contact around the post in 2 thin 'rings', not full contact) and the short length of the negative wire harness actually dug a groove around the battery post as the vehicle shifted, twisted, shook, etc. while off-roading.
This left me stranded in the middle of the desert and I had to be towed out.

The bad connection caused nearly every dash light to flash randomly, frequently reset the radio, caused repeated 'no-start' issues, ABS and wheel speed sensor codes, etc.
In short, the factory battery clamp design is a major failure point.
Thankfully it's not a very expensive repair.
Can you share what battery clamps you've switched to?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SCY82W3?tag=jkforum-20
Ok thanks for the link Tom! Have a great day

Reactions: vaffanculo

Just wanted too add on vaffanculo I attached a heavy guage wire from the ground of the battery to the alternator bracket bolt . It's a sure ground incase of issues like your having pop up...good luck

Reactions: tJKrider