DTE - Fuel Tank

lacey

Good afternoon,
I purchase a 2015 Jeep JK 4 door in May 2023. When I purchased, I was getting 500 DTE, but after a couple of fuel ups, I have been receiving 300 DTE….how is this possible? I have a 22.5 Gallon Fuel tank. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You Pilot your Jeep like a Nutter. I do the same. All Good
Troy thanks for you reply, but I'll have to say negative ghost rider to our reply. I do not drive it like i stole it, I accelerate gradually....my actual DTE when I fuel up reads a tad over 300 miles, but when I first purchased my Jeep, I was fuelling up and the DTE was reading a little over 500.

I have never gotten that kind of range in my 2015 JKU. I think on a good day I could get 300.... and even then only going downhill with a tailwind. Do the math, if you were getting 500 miles on a 22.5 tank, that equates to over 22 mpg. That is pretty rare. I'd say 14-16 mpg is probably far more accurate for a stock JKU.

I have never gotten that kind of range in my 2015 JKU. I think on a good day I could get 300.... and even then only going downhill with a tailwind. Do the math, if you were getting 500 miles on a 22.5 tank, that equates to over 22 mpg. That is pretty rare. I'd say 14-16 mpg is probably far more accurate for a stock JKU.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the info! I guess this is where I’m confused… my dash would read 500 DTE when I’d fill up my tank (about 3 separate times I’d fill up), but after that when I’d fill my tank my dash reads 300 DTE. I’m just confused as to why all of a sudden when I fill my tank I can only max at 300 miles, when previously I was max at 500. I understand the MPG, but I guess I’m only questioning my max fuel up miles and why has that changes significantly?

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the info! I guess this is where I’m confused… my dash would read 500 DTE when I’d fill up my tank (about 3 separate times I’d fill up), but after that when I’d fill my tank my dash reads 300 DTE. I’m just confused as to why all of a sudden when I fill my tank I can only max at 300 miles, when previously I was max at 500. I understand the MPG, but I guess I’m only questioning my max fuel up miles and why has that changes significantly?
I honestly don't know how the DTE is calculated/displayed and I don't pay any attention to it at all. In reality, I don't even pay attention to the mpg- it could convince me to get rid of the Jeep. It is what it is- an aerodynamic brick that's fun to drive and play with.

Reactions: TROY66/68 and lacey
I honestly don't know how the DTE is calculated/displayed and I don't pay any attention to it at all. In reality, I don't even pay attention to the mpg- it could convince me to get rid of the Jeep. It is what it is- an aerodynamic brick that's fun to drive and play with.
Same here, the MPG doesn't affect me, just was curious as to why it changed drastically and never returned. Thought maybe someone may have experienced the same and had some info to share on it =) Yep I agree...an aerodynamic brick that is fun to drive and play with

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Same here, the MPG doesn't affect me, just was curious as to why it changed drastically and never returned. Thought maybe someone may have experienced the same and had some info to share on it =) Yep I agree...an aerodynamic brick that is fun to drive and play with
Next time I top off the tank, I'll look up the DTE and see what it says. I'd be willing to bet it's a factory setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: TROY66/68
You were working off the previous owner's feather foot for the long term average. Once you filled up and reset it, it came back to realistic.

Reactions: moonie28
According to my DTE i'm always between 16.3 and 17.2 and my driving is mostly stop and go 55 MPH. It's in the 17's when I have more go then stop's.

Reactions: TROY66/68
DTE, just cycle it to another stupid visual. My dash is lit up like a Xmas tree and everything is functioning smooth. Metric. All Good
P1010003.JPG

Good afternoon,
I purchase a 2015 Jeep JK 4 door in May 2023. When I purchased, I was getting 500 DTE, but after a couple of fuel ups, I have been receiving 300 DTE….how is this possible? I have a 22.5 Gallon Fuel tank. Thanks in advance.
Odds are you are doing a lot of short range, low speed driving (city) or you spend significant time on high speed freeways or similar. The maximum mileage for me is county roads and state routes at about 55 mph, where I can hit around 25 mpg. The DTE will vary up and down during the use of a single tank depending on conditions.

Reactions: lacey and TROY66/68
Check your tires pressures. I've had a low tire pop a bunch of lights because computer.
Tires are all at 35psi. TPMS sensors are on my AL rims in the basement for the last 10yrs (they are probably dead now). Mil light is on cause the evap canister got destroyed by a chunk of ice and I bypassed it. Pulled the J6 to do true doughnuts in the winter. Popped up the airbag fuse cause there is a recall I have not addressed yet. Seatbelt light will go off when I buckle up. Retired, I have no time. All Good

Reactions: Duster