Dome light not working

selenarainie

Alright everyone on here has been extremely helpful, so here we go with another problem. My 2014 wrangler jk 2 door - when the car is off I can’t click the doom light on, and doesn’t come on if I open my door. I’ve checked the prongs in the connectors I don’t notice anything off. It doesn’t even let me know that my doors are open either.

Do the dome lights and door open alarm work properly when it's running? Can you manually turn on the dome light with it running? Does the door open alarm work properly on the other door?

On my 2008 wrangler. I have to have the dimmer control, on the steering wheel light arm control, at a certain position for the dome light to operate when the doors open. One notch below the on position.

Reactions: BigAL07
On my 2008 wrangler. I have to have the dimmer control, on the steering wheel light arm control, at a certain position for the dome light to operate when the doors open. One notch below the on position.
Yeah I thought that might be my situation but it looks like my arm controls dimer thing doesn’t work maybe idk

1663789562243.png

If you turn this dial towards you as far as it will go, your dome should come on regardless of the doors being open or not.
It is possible to delete the dome light coming on when the doors open via the dash menu or with a JScan, or other dongle.

So the lights only come on when the car is on I don’t have an alarm on it.
Sorry for not being clear. By door open alarm I meant the bing bing bing noises and dash indicators telling you your door is open. Door open alarm. Or alert. Or notification.

You said you can turn on the dome light when it is running. Is that only if you manually reach up and push the button, or does opening either door while the engine is running turn on the light? Does opening either door while the engine is running activate the door open alarm/alert/notification?

The switch is probably the most common problem, but I don't think that would prevent the door open alarm/alert/notification from triggering. So if it's the switch on the stalk going bad, you might actually have two problems. Knowing if the problem is just one door, or both, can help point to possible causes.

Sorry for not being clear. By door open alarm I meant the bing bing bing noises and dash indicators telling you your door is open. Door open alarm. Or alert. Or notification.

You said you can turn on the dome light when it is running. Is that only if you manually reach up and push the button, or does opening either door while the engine is running turn on the light? Does opening either door while the engine is running activate the door open alarm/alert/notification?

The switch is probably the most common problem, but I don't think that would prevent the door open alarm/alert/notification from triggering. So if it's the switch on the stalk going bad, you might actually have two problems. Knowing if the problem is just one door, or both, can help point to possible causes.
Yes, I can only turn the light on manually when the car is on. I get no alarm for my doors being open

turn the light on manually when the car is on.
Does this mean you have to reach up and turn it on at the light?
Does the dome light come on if you turn the interior panel light dimmer (on the turn signal lever) as I showed in the photo earlier?

I get no alarm for my doors being open
Do you not get the audible alarm?
Do you get the dash warning of the door being ajar? And, if you put it in gear with a door partially open, it'll read something like "VEHICLE NOT IN PARK." Are you getting that?

Just trying to figure out if a few things have been intentionally disabled or if there's a problem.

Does this mean you have to reach up and turn it on at the light?
Does the dome light come on if you turn the interior panel light dimmer (on the turn signal lever) as I showed in the photo earlier?

Do you not get the audible alarm?
Do you get the dash warning of the door being ajar? And, if you put it in gear with a door partially open, it'll read something like "VEHICLE NOT IN PARK." Are you getting that?

Just trying to figure out if a few things have been intentionally disabled or if there's a problem.
Yes I have to reach up to turn the dome light on and only works when the car is on. The dimmer only works for the turn signal and the outside lights that’s all. I don’t get the audible alarm, I don’t get any kind of warning. It used to work just don’t sure when it stopped.